Bye Bye Marshall

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

destropiate

Reaction score
For years Ive played Marshalls, first a TSL100 then the 3-channel 30th Anniversary. I tried Triple Recs and stuff in stores and really never thought the sound was so different than what I was using to warrant an expensive new purchase.

Yesterday I got a MKIII (thanks Nick), and I am blown away by how tight and well defined the sound is even with the gain set way over the top. The tone controls actually change the sound of the amp (my marshalls basically sounded the same no matter what you did) and the master volume doesnt suck all the fatness out of the sound like the MV did on both of my previous amps.

Needless to say Im officially converted. :twisted:

+1

I just sold the last Marshall that was in my stable. I am not really missing it that much :roll:

They will always be around. Lucky for us, tastes shift and they get dirt cheap at times too.

Now if I could only sell my last Marshall cab....

Do you really think 4 channels are enough?

I hear that the gain in the VM is pretty nice.

The Vintage Modern only has one channel with a footswitchable gain boost (another 12AX7 is engaged).

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Vintage-Modern-2266-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=480776

I think you thought I was talking about the JVM which is 4 channels.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-JVM410-H-Tube-Amp-Head?sku=480774

My bad....

These new Marshalls are still a little foreign to me. I get confused between the two. I haven't spent enough time with them or learning about them I guess. Apparently the Vintage Modern has better tone but the JVM gets more variety and can do modern high gain. I still think that 4 channels of Marshall is a little too much even though it adds versatility to the JVM. I think I am done with Marshall for now. I might someday get another early JMP MV or a late JCM800 2210 but it'll be a while.

I tried out the JVM when it came into the local music shop. It was really buzzy sounding, pretty much the same old DSL/TSL sound in a fancy new package with some added "features". I wasnt that impressed, but i guess if you need to play country, blues, jazz, rock and death metal in the same set :roll: it would be very usefull. I do hear the VM is a much nicer amp though

I just bought a VM 2266 50w head with matching 4x12 half slant cabinet, just prior to getting a gorgeous little Studio .22 Plus. At first I was a little disappointed because I cranked up the knobs and it got muddy right away. Not what I expected from a marshall at all. But I've since done some experimenting and found that there is a lot of delicious tone available, you just have to hunt around for it, and maxed out is not the way for this girl. It works well with my SG standard, and it buzzes along well to the good old stuff, like the who, a little sabbath, you can really hit a sweet ACDC spot which blows my mind. It's quite versatile if you have some patience.

All that being said, however, as far as grunting crunch goes, my little .22 (though not as loud) totally creams the marshall. Even when I play it through the marshall cab, the greenbacks sound awesome. I swapped out the little 50w black shadow for a C90, complete with a full new set of boogie tubes (el84's of course) and now it's even better, I get a nice, tight bottom end at higher volume and that mid-high snarl that's made me a boogie lover for life. The VM is still very nice, but probably will be the last marshall I buy, unless I can get my hands on an early '80s JCM 800. Until then, me and this Studio .22 are gonna take on the world. It is one of the best sounding boogies I've ever heard, but I'm sure I'll upgrade to something with a little more wattage to really piss the neighbors off.

Latest posts

Back