Buying tubes. What numbers do I look out for regarding bias

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogboy131

Reaction score
It is slow going in the tube section so I thought I would post here.

So I know mesas have a fixed bias. (whatever that means)

So when I buy new tubes in pairs, how do I know they are rated etc to match the mesas bias range?

What numbers do I look out for etc? Forinstance, some tubes I have my eyes on had this in the description:

These tubes test fine at 94 and 96 on my B&K747 DynaMu

What info by the numbers do i need to ensure I buy 6l6 tubes that dont damage my amp? :oops:

Sounds like your best bet is to stick with Mesa Tubes. Just drop them in your Mesa amp and play, nothing to check.

If you still feel compelled to try a different "brand", make sure to tell the vendor what amp you will be putting these in and they should be able to select a tube to work perfectly. I (and others) have had good luck with DougsTubes.com and Eurotubes.com.

A fixed bias amp simply means that once the bias voltage is set at it's proper value, that is where it stays during operation. Some amp makers use a trim pot to set the fixed bias voltage while others like Mesa use set value resistors.

In short, just about all class AB amps are fixed bias. Mesa's are non-adjustable fixed bias.

What is motivating you to change tubes?

Dom

I really do not like Mesas own brand. I like the Sovteks or JJ's and I am looking for some 6l6's for my triple recto. I already did purchase tubes the way you suggested and it is costly.

There are sovteks I can buy that are really cheap $40 shipped for 6 and I want to know more about how I can just buy my own in the future. Mesas are $42 just for 2.

That's a good question. I'm also interested in knowing.

For instance, if you go to musicians friend and look up Svetlana EL34's you'll see they have Hard, Med and Soft to choose from. I honestly didn't know which one would be best and I haven't gotten around to finding out yet.

Can we pretend Mesa do not produce tubes and there is no such thing as Dougs Tubes etc and answer the question? :lol:

Guitarzan said:
Did you guys bother to read the thread at the top of the tubes page?

Yep. All all tubes rated between #4 to #7 going to work? I though there was more to it than that. I thought that was hardness and breakup?

What I want to know is: This tube tested between x and x therefore it is suitable for a Mesa Boogie amp. Is it as easy as rated 4 to 7 in hardness?

Thank you thank you thank you. This will help me a lot. I am a tube *****.

Back