Blown speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanboy

Reaction score
My son plugged his Peavey 5150 into my thiele cab loaded with the EVM12L, cranked the amp very loud around 6 on the volume and the speaker went silent. I've pulled the speaker and see no visual damage to it. Does it sound like its blown? I'm positive it's not the amp, the speaker cab no longer works with my amp either. What's your thoughts?

Two easy ways to check the speaker; connect one wire from the speaker to one side of a 9 volt battery and touch the other wire to the other side of the battery. If it "clicks" your speaker is fine. The other way to test the speaker is to simply push down gently on the cone. If it sounds scratchy, the speaker is blown.

Did the battery test and confirmed the speaker is blown, it makes no movement or sound. So the question is... Replace or repair whereas it's not a cheap speaker? I can pick up a used one locally for $175.

Also, the thiele cab the speaker was in was built by my son using the TL806 plans. He didn't caulk all the seams yet, could this have been part of the problem? Someone had mentioned to me that the EVM12L speaker is an acoustic suspension speaker and if the cab was not sealed, it could have caused the problem. Any thoughts?

Not caulking the seams did not cause the problem. I have a lot of speakers in open, closed and thiele style cabinets. Sealing the cabinet helps tighten the low end and does help with excess speaker exertion, but it did not cause the speaker to blow. A sudden surge of energy and distortion from the amp killed the speaker. It happens.

So the next question is.... Did the speaker get blown from him pushing it to hard? The speaker is rated at 200 watts, and the amp is a 120 watt amp. He didn't slowly raise the volume, he just cranked it to 6 from the start. Or did the speaker blow because of its age? Any thoughts?

I'm going to have the speaker repaired, I just want to avoid having something like this happen again.

I've been discussing the blown speaker on a different forum also, I'm being told that the speaker probably blew because of the thiele cab. I can't imagine that to be true, especially whereas it's built to the TL806 specs. I'm being told to ditch the cab and go with an open back cab. I figured my friends on this forum would know more about thiele cabs. What do you guys think?

I have several thiele cabinets and have never blown a speaker in those. I have blown speakers in both open back combos and cabinets before, but not in twenty or so years. I was outside at a party playing through a Musicman 212 amp trying to keep up with a Marshall half stack, the Marshall won. Another time I was playing through a 20 watt head with an overdrive pedal into an open back cabinet when all of a sudden after ten minutes of playing, the thing sounded awesome, just incredible for about 5 minutes and prumpf, it just stopped working. Speakers can get old and brittle, a lot of times though, the heat from being under powered with added distortion will kill a speaker, especially in a P.A. system.

Latest posts

Back