blackface/chrome chassis RACKTIFIER arrived =)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4nkam

Reaction score
Well, I just got back home from a little winter break in Arizona and the racktifier #0860 was waiting for me :) I haven't had much of a chance to give it a decent run through but what I heard so far is making me very pleased and without any second thoughts on selling my Tremoverb head. It does need a good cleaning and it appears as though the lower left rack ear took some abuse during shipment, but I think I can fix it all pretty soon.

I'll take some better pix in a day or two, post some more in depth ramblings, etc. And yes, a rack case is coming in a bit so shaddup :D

1.jpg

3.jpg

mj

That's sweet man, great find. Can't wait to see more pics!! Beautiful amp, I hope to get either an early Triple with Blk face/chrome chassis or one of these Ractifiers eventually. I think a Mark IV will be first though haha. Good stuff man.

-AJH

Very nice indeed but it must have taken quite the hit to bend the rack ear like that.

Crazy.

Nice light switch, you are hard core old school my friend.

Nice amp.

Yup, gotta have a little fun when painting rooms, haha.

Now I just got done playing the racktifier and lemme tell ya, people aren't lying or hyping them up when they say these things sound beastly and vastly different than their brothers in the recto line. I immediately noticed quite a few differences compared to my tremoverb...and that is saying a lot because I (and many others) LOVE the Tremoverb and think it has cool tones.

Off the top of my head, here are some quick thoughts:

1) No stereotypical Recto buzz/fuzz. NONE. I can crank the treble, gain, and presenece (not that you should but you COULD and it works) and there really isn't that buzz which turns so many people away from Rectos. It can get in that same realm of aggression for SURE but it is very pleasing.

2) Lots of gain. LOTS OF GAIN. Now, it's a very usable gain and not just a huge amount causing buzz and fuzzy clipping when rolled down. In fact, the gain sounds very sweet and smooth running as low as 9:00. If I tried that on the Tremoverb, the tone would sound kinda weak. But the racktifier is EXTREMELY punchy and thick. Think of the feeling you get when you plug a great head into a great cabinet and can feel all that chunky roar jumping out at you. It's nuts. Down side is orange variable high gain does get rather compressed sounding the higher you run the gain. But around 12:00 is very Warren Haynes-ish :D

3) Leading off from #2, I gotta say this is a very tight, thick, and articulate amp. It has that recto vibe but it just feels and sounds much much nicer.

4) The clean mode isn't as nice as the Tremoverb, but I haven't messed around with it much. Even if it doesn't cut it, it's no biggie for me :)

mj

4nkam said:
Yup, gotta have a little fun when painting rooms, haha.

Now I just got done playing the racktifier and lemme tell ya, people aren't lying or hyping them up when they say these things sound beastly and vastly different than their brothers in the recto line. I immediately noticed quite a few differences compared to my tremoverb...and that is saying a lot because I (and many others) LOVE the Tremoverb and think it has cool tones.

Off the top of my head, here are some quick thoughts:

1) No stereotypical Recto buzz/fuzz. NONE. I can crank the treble, gain, and presenece (not that you should but you COULD and it works) and there really isn't that buzz which turns so many people away from Rectos. It can get in that same realm of aggression for SURE but it is very pleasing.

2) Lots of gain. LOTS OF GAIN. Now, it's a very usable gain and not just a huge amount causing buzz and fuzzy clipping when rolled down. In fact, the gain sounds very sweet and smooth running as low as 9:00. If I tried that on the Tremoverb, the tone would sound kinda weak. But the racktifier is EXTREMELY punchy and thick. Think of the feeling you get when you plug a great head into a great cabinet and can feel all that chunky roar jumping out at you. It's nuts. Down side is orange variable high gain does get rather compressed sounding the higher you run the gain. But around 12:00 is very Warren Haynes-ish :D

3) Leading off from #2, I gotta say this is a very tight, thick, and articulate amp. It has that recto vibe but it just feels and sounds much much nicer.

4) The clean mode isn't as nice as the Tremoverb, but I haven't messed around with it much. Even if it doesn't cut it, it's no biggie for me :)

mj

You have just poured gasoline on the flames of my racktifier gas! :cry:

is it a serial or paralel loop?

if you have a vol ped in the loop on down position, do ya have bleeds (hearing some sound when you shouldn't)

Regards
Chris

4nkam said:
people aren't lying or hyping them up when they say these things sound beastly and vastly different than their brothers in the recto line.
hi 4nkam, congrats for the purchase! did you mean the difference between old 2ch Dual Rectos and newer 3ch, or actually the difference between standard 2ch head and the rackmount amp? does mesa state that there is different circuitry in the RACKtifier?

Chris_Lonerock said:
is it a serial or paralel loop?

if you have a vol ped in the loop on down position, do ya have bleeds (hearing some sound when you shouldn't)

Regards
Chris

I think it's serial...There's only a send level control, no mix control.

ytse_jam said:
4nkam said:
people aren't lying or hyping them up when they say these things sound beastly and vastly different than their brothers in the recto line.
hi 4nkam, congrats for the purchase! did you mean the difference between old 2ch Dual Rectos and newer 3ch, or actually the difference between standard 2ch head and the rackmount amp? does mesa state that there is different circuitry in the RACKtifier?

I don't think they have ever said there is a difference however the circuits have changed over time. I can't really say how it compares to other 2 channel heads other than the tremoverb but it definitely is much warmer, smoother, and just nicer than the 3 channels. The Tremoverb is cool but the racktifier has a punchiness that was lacking in the tverb a bit :)

Nice amp. I have been seeking the same. I almost got to pull the trigger a few times except it was already bought before I got to contact the seller.

Latest posts

Back