Black Shadow EVM 400 watts power handling?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvdv56

Reaction score
My Mark 3 blue stripe combo has a Black Shadow EVM 12 speaker with a power handling 0f 400 watts, is this the standard EVM or is the standard a 200 watt power handling EVM?

From what I understand most of them are 200w, so I guess that makes them the "standard". My 2x12 cab came with 2 that both, like yours, are rated at 400w. Not sure what differences there are, but I think someone posted that the 200's sound a little better...

they sound good to me, but I've never A/B'd them w/ the 200w versions.

It's only a marketing tactic. The EVM only came in 2 power handling versions spread across 3 different baskets, 200w and 300w, those are conservatively rated. Series I, Series II and the Pro-Line all were used by Mesa at different times. The speakers could handle much more wattage than their conservative ratings. Because EV was in questionable financial shape in the 80's they would put whatever rating an OEM buyer would want on the sticker, as in the case of the Black Shadow. Again, these speakers can handle well in excess of their ratings. The weak link would be the Series II because of production problems at the time.

They're all the same speaker

Latest posts

Back