Best Pickup for Triple Rectifier?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony1967

Reaction score
Ok:

I'm trying to get a warm, tight sound (who isn't?) and have an EMG 81/85 configuration in my ESP Ltd EC-1000 Deluxe through my new Triple Rectifier 3 channel.

I thought I liked the sound (this changes on a daily basis) until I heard a recording of a recent gig where I think the tone kinda sounds brittle and harsh. I also have a Nuno Bettencourt Washburn with a Bill Lawrence in it and kinda like that sound but it could be little thicker.

What pickup configurations are you guys using? Any suggestions here would be welcome (particularly when it comes to passive pickups as I haven't kept up with the latest trends).

I play mostly metal and hard rock (Van Halen/Randy Rhoads).

Thanks buds--

Anthony
:twisted:

PS-I'm wondering if I should have bought the Koch Powertone II instead--

PRS Tremonti pups! Amazing pickups, especially with the recto! Fat, warm, high gain, responsive, I love everything about them!

Where can I get PRS tremonti pickups? Where can I hear sound clips of them? Do you recommend PRS Tremonti in neck & bridge positions?

Thanks for the tip...

Have you heard anything about Rio Grande pickups?

You can get the tremonti pups from PRS, guitar center, possibly local stores, but the best deals are on ebay! You can snag them really cheap there! Well worth it!

I will have some good quality clips recorded in about 2 weeks, so if you still can use them, I'll be happy to share!

For distortion, I like my Peavey Wolfgang stock pickups..... not sure what they are tough?? I have a clip at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com with my Road King and wolfgang (some with my tele too).

I have a '62 Jaguar with a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge, and a Seymore Duncan Mini '59 in the neck. I get tonnes of compliments about the sound of that guitar. The PAF is not too hot but its VERY warm and tight. I Also have a Ibanez SZ520 that has a PAF in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Bassy, fat, with good umpf. Not the tightest pickup I have heard but it does the job thats for sure. Just another option. I would like to hear the Tremonti's though. LOL Oh yeah I play them both through a single recto.

Any of the clips I posted in the Rigs/Tones forum that I'm using my blue PRS in have a tremonti treble and a dual rec..

here are a few:

http://platypus.memoryfire.com/extremist.avi
http://platypus.memoryfire.com/ending.avi

sorry for the sloppy playing :oops:

Humbility said:
I have a '62 Jaguar with a Dimarzio PAF in the bridge, and a Seymore Duncan Mini '59 in the neck. I get tonnes of compliments about the sound of that guitar. The PAF is not too hot but its VERY warm and tight. I Also have a Ibanez SZ520 that has a PAF in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Bassy, fat, with good umpf. Not the tightest pickup I have heard but it does the job thats for sure. Just another option. I would like to hear the Tremonti's though. LOL Oh yeah I play them both through a single recto.

+1 on the dimarzio PAFs I have an 84 gibson explorer with dimarzio paf neck and bridge set and they sound good, not a hot pickup, actually a very old school vintage output but that just means you can run them closer to the strings without the magnets pulling the strings, and you get nice good sustaining feedback out of them, they are warm and tight and def. sound better through the rec then my emg 81 equipped super strat... also maybe a duncan custom or custom custom, those are cool too

to compensate for the maple neck i presume is on your ESP, you'll need a very warm, almost vintagey pickup. i suggest, most of the PRS line, except HFS which will be brittle with maple (IMO), i also suggest gibson pup's. with my dual rec they sound REALLY ***** good. well at least a hell of a lot better than my ESP. for clips of the tremonti pickups, listen to creed!! and also alter bridge. you'll get an idea. he uses triple rec w/ tremontis (cuz he is mark tremonti lol)

Latest posts

Back