Best Chorus for the Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveyJack

Reaction score
I'm in search for a chorus pedal that would be subtle to my clean but would cut enough to be noticeable into my RHYII.

Considering, the same pedals would pass into both channel, what would be the best chorus?

Like I've written in the other chorus thread, I use a Fulltone Choralflange on a very subtle setting. It can do 80s chorus just fine but I use it for very airy sounds, if that makes sense.
On top of that, the flanger is awesome, especially when used like a slow leslie effect.

It's pricey and it's analogue, but if you've ever tried an analogue chorus you will not go back to digital. Same goes for a delay IMHO.

I use my Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man for chorus/vibrato and delay/reverb with my Mark IV.. sounds awesome.

DaveyJack said:
Thanks, do you suggest considering buying fulltone delay too?
I have no experience with their delay.
I use a Diamond Memory Lane and I don't think I will ever buy another delay pedal. It's that good.

Rocktron Intellifex.
The best chorus everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Beautiful,rich,sparkly.
The only chorus who sound like a chorus :wink:

Well here is my .02

I used to use a Roland SDE 1000 in a rack with my studio pre and use the modulation setting for a slight, subtle chorus.

Since moving to a combo I just grabbed a Fab chorus because it was cheap and it had a MIX control alowing me to dial in a subtle chorus. It works well and it's cheap if you stick it in the loop and always leave it on. The reliability of stomping on it day in and day out could be less than desirable.

Now comes the CF7 chorus factory. This thing sounds excellent in the loop of my MKIV. I can keep it subtle and add a little sheen to the lead channel.

http://www.digitech.com/flash/CF7Demo.php

It's a winner in my opinion.

If you're after a Satriani type distortion, the CH-1 will get you there without too much fiddling about.

T.C. Electronics Stereo Chorus Flanger (SCF) is a good one. Very controlable and good sound through tube amps. I believe Eric Johnson is using one too, the "tonemeister".

Pinweaver said:
Like I've written in the other chorus thread, I use a Fulltone Choralflange on a very subtle setting. It can do 80s chorus just fine but I use it for very airy sounds, if that makes sense.
On top of that, the flanger is awesome, especially when used like a slow leslie effect.

It's pricey and it's analogue, but if you've ever tried an analogue chorus you will not go back to digital. Same goes for a delay IMHO.

What exactly do you mean by "80s chorus"?? :?:

petejt said:
To me "80s chorus" is the typical chorus sound used during the 80s. Andy Summers and Prince come to mind, amongst others.

Pinweaver said:
petejt said:
To me "80s chorus" is the typical chorus sound used during the 80s. Andy Summers and Prince come to mind, amongst others.

Is that what it is?

I know that chorus has been used in different ways throughout time, and during the 1980s. It's just that I'm wondering what is the "quintessential" '80s chorus' type tone/effect.

I particularly adore Andy Summer's chorusey tones. 8)
His tone on Every Breath You Take is just the straight Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp, with the in-built chorus.

For most people, the classic '80s chorus sound is truly the Roland JC-120 amp's chorus, but for anyone not using that amp, it was the sound of the BOSS CE-1 or the TC Electronic SCF (Stereo Chorus/Flanger). Those are still two benchmark chorus pedals against which many are judged.

But not all players like the CE-1 sound -- I personally don't care for it in my rig, and prefer choruses built around delay circuits that lack the flanging or phasing effect noticeable in analog circuits like the design found in the CE-1.

If you're after that sound, though, the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus nails it. If you want a more modern chorus sound, the BOSS CE-5 is a solid choice, and there are plenty of boutique builders putting out great chorus pedals.

We've reviewed a number of different chorus pedals at MusicPlayers.com, too, so check out some of our pedal reviews, too:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/index-Guitars.php

Scott

scottkahn said:
For most people, the classic '80s chorus sound is truly the Roland JC-120 amp's chorus, but for anyone not using that amp, it was the sound of the BOSS CE-1 or the TC Electronic SCF (Stereo Chorus/Flanger). Those are still two benchmark chorus pedals against which many are judged.

But not all players like the CE-1 sound -- I personally don't care for it in my rig, and prefer choruses built around delay circuits that lack the flanging or phasing effect noticeable in analog circuits like the design found in the CE-1.

If you're after that sound, though, the Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus nails it. If you want a more modern chorus sound, the BOSS CE-5 is a solid choice, and there are plenty of boutique builders putting out great chorus pedals.

We've reviewed a number of different chorus pedals at MusicPlayers.com, too, so check out some of our pedal reviews, too:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/index-Guitars.php

Scott

So, are you saying that the Boss CE-5 is built around delay circuits?

I read your review of the H2O & the Voodoo Lab chorus pedal, very impressive. 8)

Wait up, I just caught something...

Scott Kahn's MusicPlayers.com Review said:
When placed in a signal chain using a distortion/overdrive pedal preceding the H2O pedal, the effect provided a wet chorusing effect, but also had an increased amount of flanger effect present in the mix. This is common in the sound of vintage chorus effects, and will be appealing to some players, but not the desired effect if you are after more of the ‘80s L.A. sound.

Well, how would the chorus effect sound if placed in the signal chain between the guitar and a cranked high-gain valve amp?

And, does the solo is this video clip demonstrate the "1980s L.A. sound"?

petejt said:
So, are you saying that the Boss CE-5 is built around delay circuits?

I read your review of the H2O & the Voodoo Lab chorus pedal, very impressive. 8)

Hi Petejt.

Yes, the CE-5 is a delay-based chorus unit, built around delay circuits vs. diodes.

Although we haven't published an official CE-5 review, it's currently my favorite overall chorus pedal for my style of playing (progressive rock and some alternative rock).

Thanks for reading our stuff!

Scott

petejt said:
Wait up, I just caught something...

Scott Kahn's MusicPlayers.com Review said:
When placed in a signal chain using a distortion/overdrive pedal preceding the H2O pedal, the effect provided a wet chorusing effect, but also had an increased amount of flanger effect present in the mix. This is common in the sound of vintage chorus effects, and will be appealing to some players, but not the desired effect if you are after more of the ‘80s L.A. sound.

Well, how would the chorus effect sound if placed in the signal chain between the guitar and a cranked high-gain valve amp?

And, does the solo is this video clip demonstrate the "1980s L.A. sound"?

I think you would end up with a similar effect, just like when you traditionally place a phaser or flanger before the input to your amp.

And yes, that video definitely encapsulated the L.A. sound in the brief solo section. :)

Latest posts

Back