Bedroom level distortion on a 50 Cal +

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhrocker

Reaction score
I have a 50 Cal + with 6L6's and I have a question. I tend to play my amps either really loud or really low - nothing really in between. Is there a way to get a good sound from the preamp with good grind at low levels without sounding very trebly? At bedroom levels, the amp sounds really bright and harsh, regardless of what I do with the eq.

Will new preamp tubes help? If so, what are some good suggestions? I play everything from shimmering clean to all out distortion. When I had a DR Solo head, it sounded awesome at low levels, as well as high levels. Was it just the nature of the amp?

here's an example of a low volume recording, done direct with help from the weber mass:

"Ezduzzit"
http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongID=68697

recorded direct...
Mark 2B, 60w w/GEQ, into Palmer PDI-09, into Weber Mass lite, into cabinet.

palmer out into A Designs Audio MP-1 mic pre, into ART DPS digital convertor, into sound card.

there's a bright cap (180pf) on the volume pot. You can snip one leg of the cap off and see if you like the change? You can also change the value or put in a pull poy to turn it off and on, like the bright switch on old Fenders. i also have the weber mass lite and IMHO is the best for the money.

What are your current settings?

For a nice tight, smooth gain suitable for Rock to Metal (it's all up to your picking hand)...you can try:

Volume: 9
Master: 1 1/2
Lead Master: 1 1/12
Treble: 7
Bass: 1.5
Middle: 2
Reverb: 0
Presence: 4

EQ:

80: Middle line
240: Slightly under the middle line (like 1/16" max)
750: Slightly above the bottom line, maybe 1/16" above the bottom line
2200: Slightly under the middle line (like 1/16" max)
6600: Middle line

I use the following tubes:

Pre Amp Tubes:

V1: Tung Sol 12AX7
V2: Electro Harmonix 12AT7
V3: Tung Sol 12AX7
V4: Tung Sol 12AX7
V5: Tung Sol 12AX7

Power Tubes: 2 X 6L6 Groove Tubes.

I am very happy this set up, I play either thru may 4 X 12 closed back recto cab (Cel V30's) or thru the Celestion C90 built in to the amp (it's a combo). Clearly the recto sounds way better, but both sound great and I can get good tones at EXTREMELY LOUD levels as well as quite bedroom (Apartment) levels...

Lemme know what you think?

Back