Bad Moon Rising (mark IIb usage)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
Bad Moon Rising (mark IIb usage)

http://iacmusic.com/songs.aspx?SongID=43871&ArtistID=30211

a licensed new-style cover of an old classic

this features a '81 mark IIB all over it...
with a carvin dc200k, carvin SC90, Danelectro 12-string, all thru the mesa...
taylor 414 on the acoustics...

yikes.
not a single reply.

oh well...

this song, meant something different for me, when i recorded it, than it did listening to it as a kid...

i recorded this, the week after katrina hit new orleans, and i used to live in new orleans, and the song took on a completely different meaning while i was doing it...

for me, this song is kind of like a 'wake'.

when i was dialing in the boogie, i was torn between wanting to find soothing tones, and wanting to find raw and mean tones.

as it is, i did a little of both....

the slide guitar parts, are quite mean, the way they were setup and recorded (the demeter isolation cabinet was used for those parts, and it was super loud with a harsh setting on the presence and the midrange)

the danelectro 12 string parts, were played thru the clean channel set on breakup, with a bunch of the mids cut...

and the main electric rhythm was my typical rock rhythm setting on the lead channel, doubled with the acoustic guitar.

thanks for listening.

I LIKE THE TONE !

and i like the song, the original, and also the cover, lolol.

I like the guitar arrengementss... keep on the good work. recorded in studio ??

Outstanding. Love the overall feel you've achieved. Your playing is stellar, and I love the tone. Boogie all the way brother. Old school rocks. I love the way you let the chords hang. No one does that any more, and no amp does that better than an old Boogie. You've been able to turn the song into a hymn. (You have a great voice too, by the way.)

blinkie
hey, thanks for listening!
this was recorded in my garage studio....
using a roland VS1880 and a little outboard gear.

ToneAddictJon
glad you liked it!
it was fun, on this one, having at least 5 different guitars doing different parts, and the boogie getting tweaked all over the place for each track.
i kinda knew, going in, it was going to be a guitar smorgasborg!
LOL

Plumptone
thanks for listening...
those hanging chords....
were probably partly inspired by the way the boogie responds....
that kerrang thing, and the chime of the 6l6's, i dig it.

thanks jetdriver

i'll tell you, since i just got my boogie back from it's 26 year tune-up, the tones and grind i'm hearing now, just makes me want to re-track the whole song!

what was fun, was having all the guitars i had at the time, handy for different tracks, and tweaking each one with new boogie settings...

holy crap dude!!!! this was fantastic.....i mean from top to bottom. i loved the overall recording it was pristine! the guitar tones were perfect for the song and great freaking tone period. the vocals were recorded very well and the all of the performances including the vocals and slide guitar were great. i would love to hear more of your work if you have anything else you can turn me on to.

oops never mind i saw the link for the bat's brew cd and I'm checking it out now.....i'll get back with you.

hey, sorry guys, i missed your comments, and never thanked you for checking it out!
thanks!

lyman
tone with teeth.
that sounds like an excellent catch phrase!!
don't mind if i do......

:twisted:

Masque
your 'moniker' just so happens to be the name of one of my favorite albums!
but not the kansas one.... even tho i like that too...

the recording, believe it or not, was done on a Roland VS-1880 deck (16 tracks, with 2 more for mix/mastering)

i didn't master it tho, i sent it out to a pro mastering house... for that magic dust.

there are, at any given time, about 4 rhythm guitar parts going on...
the carvin, the other carvin, the danny-12 string, and the taylor acoustic.
the trick was, trying to find the blend, where they can all be heard, but no one stepped on the other, and it still sounded rocking, and not so laid back with the acoustic and 12 string going....

it was a fun song to do.
glad you liked it!

sgtbaker-
kind words, thank you sir!

Latest posts

Back