Averted disaster!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soc_monki

Reaction score
Been playing around with my Single again, since I'm out of work at the time and have time to change strings on guitars and play a little. Decided to fire the Recto up and have some fun while the wife is away at work! Also decided to swap some preamp tubes (I have a ton laying around...) and everywhere that I read says a Tung-Sol in V1 is the prefered tube, and I have 2 of them in the Single already. I had an EH in V1, Tung Sol in 2 and 3, JJ ECC83 (maybe an S ill have to look again) in 4, and a Sovtek LPS in 5. So I took out one of the power tubes (running JJ KT77s, sound amazing!) so I could check all the preamps, swapped the Tung Sol in slot 2 to 1, and the EH to slot 2.

And this is where I almost had a bad day. Plugged everything in and started jamming, with ONE power tube. Thought it sounded funny, less bass than normal, a little less gainy, but I put that down to the preamp tube switch. So I was going to put everything back together (caps on tubes, the bar back in place) and I looked and there was only one power tube...stupid move! Not enough coffee this morning! Quickly reloaded the second tube and turned the amp back on. Bass was back with a vengence, and everything sounded like it should.

Just a reminder kids...always make sure you have all your power tubes in before firing up. This could have ended badly, but I was running at low volumes. I got lucky! Can't live without this thing, it just sounds too good. Makes me wonder why people boost them for metal tones all the time...not super tight, but not flubby loose either, and plenty of gain on tap. I don't know...but I'm going to restring my M1000, put the amp back together and get back to jamming! :mrgreen:

Depending on the generation/revision, couldn't that of just cut your wattage in half instead of causing damage? Or is that only the duals that could do that?

You are correct - IMO it was a "non-event"

....unless afu says differently ;-)

how was it a non-event? 50 watt amp, 2 tubes. leave one out...in my understanding that could cause major trouble? dumb move on my part but oh well!

either way, nothing blew up. have a nice day :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back