Attenuator and Mark II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterofsparks

Reaction score
Anyone ever use one with their combo? I have a IIC+ and I really can't get a great sound unless it's really loud (master around 3 or so). Generally the lead channel sounds pretty buzzy at low volumes. I'd like to let it rip, but I'm not playing Madison Square Garden any time soon so I thought that might be a solution.

Thanks.

Scott,

I feel your pain. To get the mojo out I run the Master Volume at 4-5 and run the Lead Master at 1.5. It allows the interaction of the power amp to get involved with the tone with the result of more natural bottom end, smoother tone and clarity. The only problem is, if you need a clean channel you will need another amp because when you switch channels the clean volume is at 5 and the Volume 1 is at 8 and it is really loud.
To get the more cutting tone you spoke about I run it with the Master on 2 and the Lead Master on 3-4, which seems to be the sweet spot. Unfortunately, either you have to use two IIC+'s or and amp for clean or a power soak ( ARRRRRGGGHHHH ). Power soaks on C+'s scare me. They already run crazy high voltages and can kill tubes in a single bound.
I run two IIC+'s or the III, IV with an amp switcher to use as a clean amp. It helps maintain the volume balance between clean and overdrive, not that I use clean much anyway. It's just easier than trying to balance one C+ plus to cover both clean and lead. It does them both great, but is not the easiest amp to balance out.

Thanks BB, I'll give that a shot. I'm actually taking delivery of a Tremoverb on Wednesday, so I may go the dual amp route. Do you like the C+ for the lead tone generally? I suppose I could use the Tremoverb for the clean and modern high gain tones and the C+ for the more classic sound.

I've run power soaks, and other resistor-style attenuators on my mark2b for years now.

when i used to gig full time, i had one of the original scholz power soaks on my boogie, just to tame a bit of stage volume, and never ever had a problem.

the tubes only wear out as fast as they would if you weren't running the attenuator, and at the louder volume.

i can tell you from first hand experience, i've never had a problem.
run a fan on the tubes, to increase the life.

in fact, i just purchased a WEBER mass lite, to run for recording purposes, and purchased a Palmer PDI-09 (which i've already used, with great sucess) and plan on running the weber after the palmer, just for volume control for monitoring purposes, as the only signal that will get recorded is the palmer signal.

maybe i'll try mixing some live cab sound (miced) with the palmer,
i'll follow up with a critique of that soon.

i've also used a demeter iso cab, as a load for the palmer to do it's thing.
works great.

masterofsparks said:
Thanks BB, I'll give that a shot. I'm actually taking delivery of a Tremoverb on Wednesday, so I may go the dual amp route. Do you like the C+ for the lead tone generally? I suppose I could use the Tremoverb for the clean and modern high gain tones and the C+ for the more classic sound.

I generally use the C+ for everything. I can switch between two or three, all with different setups. The rig itself can get complicated at times. I go out to either a MK III Green Stripe and 92 Dual Rectifier in stereo or IIC+ with the DR in stereo. For cleans I can set up the a IIC+ or MK IVB, but my favorite cleans are from the Green Stripe and the Road King together. I have incorporated a G-Major into the fray and the switching needs to be ironed out, but the wall of tone is freakish. To keep things simple, my rig for playing out is a guitar, cord, BB Preamp into a MK IV EV Combo and a 1X12 EV Thiele. The channel masters on the IV make life much easier and I don't think a monster rig is a good idea to go jam, but it is fun.

Latest posts

Back