ATA Cases for Boogies?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRazMeister

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased one of those ATA hard travel cases they sell on EBay for Mesa's? The attractive part for me is tha ability to put casters on the bottom. They make one to fit every size amp from what I can tell but I'm always leery about buying stuff like that from EBay.

I didn't buy one, but another local musician did....the amp(Road King Combo) fit, but just not exactly...it was able to move around a bit inside. The ebay listing said it would fit a similar amp, and he emailed and they said it would fit the RK exactly. They were wrong.

He later bought a case from www.dccase.com and was able to get an exact fit. I saw the case and it was cool...and relatively inexpensive. I like it so much, I want one, but I'm afraid the amp and case won't fit well into the backseat of my car....the common mode of transporting it.

I do own an effects case with riser from them....and it is wonderful. 18 month of heavy gigging and stomping on it, and still looks new.

On the website, you can customize the case as much or as little as you want...even choose how thick of wood you wanna use.

Check it out....I recommend it more than I would any case bought off of ebay.

RB

I'm getting a dead link from the www.dccase.com site, it says "coming soon". Are you sure that's the address?

Red Barchetta said:
I didn't buy one, but another local musician did....the amp(Road King Combo) fit, but just not exactly...it was able to move around a bit inside. The ebay listing said it would fit a similar amp, and he emailed and they said it would fit the RK exactly. They were wrong.

He later bought a case from www.dccase.com and was able to get an exact fit. I saw the case and it was cool...and relatively inexpensive. I like it so much, I want one, but I'm afraid the amp and case won't fit well into the backseat of my car....the common mode of transporting it.

I do own an effects case with riser from them....and it is wonderful. 18 month of heavy gigging and stomping on it, and still looks new.

On the website, you can customize the case as much or as little as you want...even choose how thick of wood you wanna use.

Check it out....I recommend it more than I would any case bought off of ebay.

RB

Ummm.....errr......uhhh.......

I just checked my favorites link and I got the "coming soon" too. I apologize...they must have closed the site...and I don't have a phone number for them.

I own a mixer case from www.badcases.com (big audio design). They are owned by Guy Gelso, drummer for the band Zebra, who are local, but enjoy national success. I checked that link and KNOW it still works!!!

Their cases are a bit more expensive, but are completely top shelf. They offer less expensive options as well, but you can go all the way up to top of the line ATA stuff.

Sorry about the dead link....try this one....maybe my reputation will be restored.

RB

I am telling you from experience... DO NOT BUY ATA CASES ON EBAY.

Unless it is an Anvil or other reputable company like that. ATA cases are expensive for a reason... and this is one department where you can't escape the "You get what you pay for.." realm.

The ATA cases that use the generic photos like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43374&item=7331689110&rd=1

IS PURE worthless.

The case is poorly made... it doesn't fit right, and worst of all, it warps.

I got one from ebay... it came, it had cracks in the wood, the aluminum valances didn't line up... I couldn't close it without using much force.... I complained to them... and they replied with.. "oh, we do the selling, but someone else actually does the manufacturing... they must've sent you an older version."

They sent me a new one and told me to keep the other one they sent too... the new one wasn't much better... it didn't fit right, but at least there were no cracks.

In about a month, they were both warped... the wood bubbled up like a balloon... so now it really doesn't close right. Needless to say, I've never used the case... I just store spare parts in em.

I went with FlyteCase based out in Canada and got a custom made one for my other amp head. It cost more, but basically... "you get what you pay for".

THIS IS THE Custom made one I got from FLYTE CASE:
06.jpg

03.jpg

01.jpg

I bought a ATA case for my DR head from Ebay, Angstrom Cases, and I would strongly recommend them. I saw the NYCases guy, but even in the pictures, they looked cheap. Check the build specs and compare to Anvil, very similar but a lil bit less cost.

Thanks for all the info guys....I guess I'll pass on the NYCases...

Hey Red Barchetta...is this the same Zebra that used to play in Long Island and Queens (my old stomping grounds!) I was in a band called Hi-Fly back in the 80's and the Zebra I knew basically WAS Led Zeppelin lol!! Randy Jackson (no, not of American Idol fame) was the singer and guitarist. They, along with Rat Race Choir were about the best cover bands EVER......as well as playing their own great originals! (we were all jealous :D )

Red Barchetta said:
Ummm.....errr......uhhh.......

I just checked my favorites link and I got the "coming soon" too. I apologize...they must have closed the site...and I don't have a phone number for them.

I own a mixer case from www.badcases.com (big audio design). They are owned by Guy Gelso, drummer for the band Zebra, who are local, but enjoy national success. I checked that link and KNOW it still works!!!

Their cases are a bit more expensive, but are completely top shelf. They offer less expensive options as well, but you can go all the way up to top of the line ATA stuff.

Sorry about the dead link....try this one....maybe my reputation will be restored.

RB

Yeah, Raz...
That is the same Zebra. They started here in New Orleans in the late 70s and put out their first album in 1983 ( I think) They got MTV airplay for their song "Who's behind the door?".

Great guys, and B.A.D. cases are excellent. Plus, I think it's cool to support a fellow musician.

RB

Angstrom sucks. They said they had a case that fit the Stiletto precisely. Well it arrived and it didn't. They offered to send me extra foam, but I paid more for this case because I thought it would fit exactly, but it was 3/8" too long.

They said 3/8" was not enough to affect the case's ability to protect the amp. I beg to differ.

Here's the ebay page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7352741432&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Hafer Cases, no doubt in my mind. It took 17 flights worth of abuse in a two week period and my Boogie still looks perfect. On top of this, the case still looks awesome! Our "Road Ready" cases were falling apart, but the Hafer stands strong.

MesaMadness said:
Angstrom sucks. They said they had a case that fit the Stiletto precisely. Well it arrived and it didn't. They offered to send me extra foam, but I paid more for this case because I thought it would fit exactly, but it was 3/8" too long.

They said 3/8" was not enough to affect the case's ability to protect the amp. I beg to differ.

Here's the ebay page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7352741432&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
Angstrom make a great case for the price!!! BTW If the case is too tight it's a pain in the cock to get the amp out.

Angstrom Cases has received varied reviews. The one that I bought fit well and appears to be well made. It gets very light use though, for an occasional move. I wanted something to protect my amp for local transport. I didn't need a top end case and didn't want to pay for it.

I would pay the extra money, call it insurance, if I was a touring musician and my next pay check depended on my amp working. Paying a little more for a case up front, could mean the difference between having to repair or replace an amp with any or or all custom touches that you may have put on it, plus the transportation charges to overnight something to your location.

Thanks for the comments.

The size probably isn't worth sweating. I just feel that the angstrom ebay ad was misleading. I'm getting over it.

I also have a case from Mark at Rock Hard Cases. It took a little while to get made, and was a little bit pricey, but it was definately worth it. The case fit my RK head perfect, and it is built like a tank, looks great, and will probably last as long as I could need it to. I am very happy with their service.

anyone else bought these angstrom cases? i only need something to move the amp around to practice and local shows so it wont get scratched or poked, or spilled on, etc...

their buyer feedback seems outstanding!

EDIT--NVM. i looked around the olf topics and everyone generally agrees they're good. any extra feedback is still welcome tho..

I've got an angstrom case for my DR, with the 5 space rack integrated above. I have no complaints about it whatsoever. The amp fit perfectly, and it is built as well as anything I've seen. Only thing I wish it had was locking casters.

And yes, NYCASE Co. sucks balls.

I bought a head case from Angstrom Cases for my Triple Recto, with an extra storage compartment at one end. It's very well made, I bought the 1/4'' ply wood, and the amp fits nearly perfectly in it (it's the drop in style case with the lid closure on top). Very good quality. Also, Monik is very helpful in answering any questions you have. I would recommend them, just make sure that you are ordering the proper case for your equipment, and ask him for the dimensions, he'll gladly give them to you. ( i plan on getting a rect ocab case from him in the near future and made him give me all dimensions for it)

100_0393.jpg

100_0394.jpg

-AJH

Latest posts

Back