Anyone used the Blackstar boost pedal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RectoFreak

Reaction score
I am currently using an OCD to sort of tighten up my rectoverbs sound. I really like it, but I was considering getting a tube pedal. Anyone know anything about the Blackstar HT-Boost? I would think a tube boost would mesh a little better with the tube gain stages as opposed to a solid state.

I've found the opposite. Too much tube - particularly if it's a "preamp" type of pedal instead of an "overdrive/distortion" type of pedal - makes things sound muddy and definitely not tight at all. Solid-state into tube actually sounds better. I have a V-Twin and a V-1, and I've tried the Blackstar stuff, and the only one that sounds good into a tube amp is the V-1, which is the simplest and least "preampy". Even that doesn't sound as good as a good solid-state pedal. But they all sound great into a clean solid-state amp...

The best pedal I've found with my Tremoverb (which isn't quite the same as the Rectoverb though) is the Boss SD-1, that really tightens it up and makes it sing. The V-Twin just sounds like a flabby, muddy mess. The V-1 is somewhere in the middle, and is the one that's all-tube, but it still doesn't sound as good as the Boss.

Be aware that the Blackstar isn't all-tube either - it's like the V-Twin, it uses a tube for coloration and maybe a bit of distortion. Most of the actual distortion comes from the solid state bits. Don't let that put you off though, like I said I think solid state into tube can often sound better than tube alone. And a lot of classic recordings were done that way.

Something to consider if you're still interested in this pedal is Guitar Center used pages. These pedals can usually be picked up for $70 or $80. Try it out with some different tube variations. If you don't like it, you can always sell it and probably get close to your money back.

If you buy it used, make sure it comes with the Blackstar power cord as you CANNOT purchase the required power cords at Guitar Center, Radio Shack, or pretty anywhere except Blackstar, which is located overseas. I went through this problem. Guitar Center was useless in helping me with this problem! Blackstar ended up sending me an adapter for free. 8)

I never used this pedal in front of a tube amp but put it in front of a Digitech 1101 to warm it up while recording. The pedal worked fine for what I needed it to do although I did use low gain tubes and the low gain output.

I picked up one of these as I had never used one in front of a tube amp. There was one listed for $69 at GC. I talked them down to $60 and got it yesterday.

This pedal can add some good clean boost with a 12AU7 in there, or it can add some fur to your tone with a 12AX7 and the high gain output. It's a descent boost pedal, but I really believe it's more of an light overdrive pedal, which is cool by me and what I was hoping for.

If you're not wanting to add any hair and just need a pure, clean boost that can add some dB's, then I would look elsewhere. I can get clean boost, but not as much as my GE-7 gives.

I'm not sure you folks with 4+ gain stages would benefit from this pedal. I'm thinking it might muddy things up for you? I've only got 2 gain stages on my TA-15, so no mud issues with me.

Oh yeah, try a NOS tube in this pedal as I found it does make a difference in tone and feel.

Back