Anyone playing hollowbodies thru MK4?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jukesgtr

Reaction score
Hey buddies,

Me again here! I just got a new Epi Emperor II Joe Pass ($350 from MF, sorry no longer in offer) and have run it thru my Classic 30 and little 15W tubed Laney so far, will check with my MK4 rig too soon. Sounds good as stock but feedbacks very easily, more than my other cheaper hollow bodies, two of them with deeper boxes too.

Do you have any experiences playing clean jazz/"semi-clean" blues with hollow body archtops thru MK4?

I just got an Epi Sheraton, mainly because of the solid block center.. I was afraid of the hollow body feeding back, plus I liked the tone of the Sheraton..Holds together well even under really high gain (mark III) and still sounds hollow, especially if I roll back the volume some... That Joe Pass may pose a problem in higher gain/volume situations...Especially on the B string. Usually, that pole on the pup,(mainly neck pup) is screwed in pretty far to keep the feedback down on that resonant body.....
Good luck!
ax. 8)

I have a Joe Pass, as well. I play it pretty clean, although not on a Mark IV. Gain is used very sparingly, and like axwielding1 said, roll back on the volume. Use heavier strings. I put a set of flat wound 12's on it and use it for softer stuff. It's a very boomy guitar, and seems to be more lightly built than say a Gretsch, which adds to its resonance. You got a killer price on it BTW!

Liking the deeper tone of the hollow bodies, and to get around the feedback issue, I picked up a Reverend Club King, which is a semi-hollow. You can make them scream, if you want. You might want to check them out. You can get them with either humbuckers or P-90's. It is a sweet sounding guitar. Has a Bigsby with a very stiff spring, so it holds it's tuning extremely well. Also, it has a 25.5" scale with a neck that is very Fenderish, slightly thicker than a Strat. It has a bass contour knob on it, too, to roll off on the bass response, if you want a lighter tighter sound.

Thanks guys for yr responses, I'll keep on tweaking the amp, I mainly use it with clean sounds only. Cannot spend any more money in equipment right now but for my curiosity I'll check that guitar. I also already have a cheap semihollow...

Latest posts

Back