Anyone know the answer to my questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevycat

Reaction score
If you place a tube in the pi position, what would be the tells that the tube is going bad? Can an amp work with a bad pi tube in it or not?

sevycat said:
Can an amp work with a bad pi tube in it or not?

No. Not well anyway. People often replace this tube when they replace power tubes. It's the one tube that has failed in my 1-1/2 year old Express 5:50. My amp stopped working in the 50 watt class AB mode but still worked fine in the 5 watt class A mode when this tube died!

I've had a phase inverter tube fail in a couple different amps of mine... I had total loss of volume and one with a slight whisper faint of sound.

It depends on which half of the tube fails - the second side of the phase inverter is driven from the first, so if the first side fails you get silence; if the second side fails the first side can keep working (although now biased wrongly, usually) so you get a quiet, badly-distorted sound. I'm not sure how it applies to the switching in the Express though.

Don said:
sevycat said:
Can an amp work with a bad pi tube in it or not?

No. Not well anyway. People often replace this tube when they replace power tubes. It's the one tube that has failed in my 1-1/2 year old Express 5:50. My amp stopped working in the 50 watt class AB mode but still worked fine in the 5 watt class A mode when this tube died!
Thats because it doesn't use the PI in Class A, because its running single ended, not push/pull.

Latest posts

Back