Anyone know anything about SGH tube amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jschiestel

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about SGH tube amps? I had never heard of them before, but a guy I used to jam with stopped by my band practice yesterday and had an SGH VSH100 tube amp head that he wants to trade me along with a 4x12 cab for my LTD EC-400. He didn't have the cab with him, so I tried it out throuh my Recto cab and the amp sounded pretty good. Its a 2 channel amp with separate EQs for each channel and a boost on the clean (or "normal" channel) and 2 switchable gains on the overdrive channel. The head is switchable between 4 and 8 ohms and has an effects loop on the back. He doesn't have a footswitch for it, but there are two 1/4" jacks on the back for footswitching.

The amp sounded good, but since I've never heard of the company I don't know how reliable they would be or what they are worth. He said that he picked it up in Montreal for $1,200 (CDN). The cab won't sound as good as my Recto cab because I think it is a homemade cab and I don't think it has the best speakers in it.

I've googled "SGH", "VSH100" and a bunch of others and couldn't find any info on SGH, but found an "Invasion VSH100" with the exact same control layout. The grill on the SGH is smaller and there is more leather on the front of the amp (and an SGH logo instead of "Invasion".)

http://www.productpilot.com/templates.php?...mp;prodId=65141

Anyone have any info on these amps or any idea what they would be worth? I would probably try to sell it (our band might have another guitarist joining and he's just got a little 60 watt solid state that gets completely drowned out by my Recto, so he'll need something different.)

Hey jay I'm the guy you sold it too remember me? The head works ok i think it's alittle hard to tell with the crappy speakers that were in that cab. The speakers were designed for grunge/ metal and are not a very good quality after 10 years of punishment. you were right about that. the guy who sold you the cab or who ever he bought it from beat the snot out of it pretty well. Anyway, This thing had been rewired for some reason and who ever did it used 10gauge wire. not only that but they wired it in parallel so it was only a 2 ohm load. it seems they barely had the strength to twist the wires together as 3 or 4 of the 8 speaker wire connections were so loose i just lightly pulled on the wire and they fell apart. But all that aside it's a doyle brand and is a custom order cabinate and the Cabinet we're talking about is very custom having two completely separate chambers internally to give a very nice sound when you hook it up stereo. The manufacturer told that they currently sell these cabs with no speakers for $600. anyways I still need to put new drivers in it. I'm looking for some celstion lead 80's. This cab is a tank and is indestructable check out the link and watch the videos. they show one of the stock cabs being thrown out the back of a van travelling at 100Km/h and even an elephant standing on one to show how durable the construction is. But to answer your question about the SGH head I plugged it in to 1000 watt bass cab and it sounded alright but i'll let you know when I get the new drivers.

http://www.doyleaudio.com/video.htm

http://www.sghsound.com/products.htm

Just one more thing. learning what the cab was actually worth now makes the whole deal seem pretty good.

Thanks for the deal.

Kilroy

Latest posts

Back