Anyone have experience with this speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phyrexia said:
I saw that too. I came very close to buying that Thiele cab.

It's not that, I just got a new parts express cat. and they carry these and celestions. This looks like a new speaker in the line and was just wondering what it sounded like. Can you imagine a magnet over 20oz heavier than an evm12.

I bet that speaker has balls, maybe too much.

There was a Thiele on the 'Bay for $236 BIN with one of those. I talked myself out of it, but I am interested in the speaker.

If I'm not mistaken, the Commonwealth is patterned after a JBL120. I don't care for those myself, but some do. I prefer the Delta from Emminence

trickyrick said:
phyrexia said:

It's not that, I just got a new parts express cat. and they carry these and celestions. This looks like a new speaker in the line and was just wondering what it sounded like. Can you imagine a magnet over 20oz heavier than an evm12.

I think you need to re-read the specs between the two speakers. EVM12L magnets run around 14 to 16 pounds each! That would be 224 to 256 ounces!

Or, maybe I'm missing something (tonight is my Friday), hiccup! :S

Sludgenutz said:
trickyrick said:
phyrexia said:

I think you need to re-read the specs between the two speakers. EVM12L magnets run around 14 to 16 pounds each! That would be 224 to 256 ounces!

Or, maybe I'm missing something (tonight is my Friday), hiccup! :S

Nope, your right, I am holding the spec in my hand and it is indeed a 16lb magnet. I don't know where I got the 80oz. thing from, must have been confused with another speaker.

Most speaker manufacturers rate the magnet only in oz. When you see it listed in lbs. it is usually the magnet structure which includes the pole pieces. There are probably exceptions to this though.

Never tried the the Delta Pro or Commonwealth. But I did try the Swamp Thang and RedWhiteandBlues IN my Thiele cab. Very nice, both. The ST delivers the tight bottom and shimmery top better in THAT cab. But ultimately, the EVM is back in the Thiele cab simply because it was the superior-sounding speaker ...again, in that cab. FWIW, I also ended up with the RWB in my Fender amp and sold the ST; just better overall tone and balance ...for that cab. Get the theme here? Each speaker sounds better or wrose depending on what they are loaded into. That said, I'd love to hear feedback from someone on this as the orig EVMs are harder to come by and more expensive than a current production speaker. And also have "heard" good things about the DeltaPro on TGP. Someone want to give it a try??
:)

Edward

I bought a 15" Eminence Commonwealth several months ago from Parts Express and loaded it into a sealed, front loaded, 1-15" cab from Lopo cabs. While it did take a little longer to break in then most speakers it was worth the wait. Up until I bought this speaker I used a pair of Thiele EVM-12L's with my Mark IV in a mono mini stack. I have since switched to a W/D/W setup using the Thiele's as the stereo wet cabs and the Commonwealth as the center dry speaker, I like it that much. I plan on getting another cab just like it so I can again have a mini stack setup except with two 15" cabs for dry and two Thiele's for wet.

Latest posts

Back