anyone have experience with DRs and THD hotplates?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are quite of few threads on this but yes, they work will with Dual Recs, I use one myself.

you'll have to forgive me, I'm not used to having a search function available to me.

in your personal experience, you think the THD does a decent job of getting the amp to sound as nice as it does cranked at home

btw - by home I mean alone in my house (not an appt. and my neighbors live about a half mile away)

lol

thanks bro

I've also been considering getting a 2x12 to replace my 2 4x12 cabs for when I am home.

wise decision, or will the hotplate be good enough?

ChrisRocksUSA said:
you'll have to forgive me, I'm not used to having a search function available to me.

in your personal experience, you think the THD does a decent job of getting the amp to sound as nice as it does cranked at home

btw - by home I mean alone in my house (not an appt. and my neighbors live about a half mile away)

lol

thanks bro

I've also been considering getting a 2x12 to replace my 2 4x12 cabs for when I am home.

I use mine with my 2x12 recto cab and DR.

The simple answer is no, it won't sound as good as when it is actually cranked because of a lot of variables, mainly that you're just not moving that air through your speakers. It will sound much better than just having preamp distortion however, it is a compromise you make.

Platypus said:
ChrisRocksUSA said:

lol

thanks bro

The simple answer is no, it won't sound as good as when it is actually cranked because of a lot of variables, mainly that you're just not moving that air through your speakers. It will sound much better than just having preamp distortion however, it is a compromise you make.

thanks

I'm not looking for an exact copy of the sound, I just wanted to know that it does in fact improve the tone.

ChrisRocksUSA said:
Platypus said:
ChrisRocksUSA said:

lol

thanks bro

thanks

I'm not looking for an exact copy of the sound, I just wanted to know that it does in fact improve the tone.

I can tell you that I'd never play without mine in a lower volume setting :)

so tell me platypus man (that used to be a TV show)

I most definitely should get a hotplate shouldn't I 8)

There are a few competitors on the market you might want to look at. I know several guys have had luck with the Dr Z. Airbrake as well. I can tell you that there are quite a few guys who use the THD here too. I don't think you can go wrong with either product.

I can also vouge for the hotplate! Amazing little gizmo! With the correct setup, and maybe an overdrive for a little extra boost, it can get an amazing tone at small volumes.

I'm going to try to play without the hotplate at low volumes tomorrow, just to see how much the hotplate has been helping!

I'm bidding a tom scholz powersoak

cheap as hell, I put up a bid of $55 for the hell of it. I'll buy a hotplate if I lose the auction.

Ask around on the Power soak,BUT,if memory serves me correct, that caused alot of transformer problems. Old school technology gave the amp balls at lower volumes but at a cost.
Those were like a dime a dozen(and cheaply priced) in the 90's because of the problems.
Be careful brudda.

I have the Dr Z airbreak and love it. I even use it a gig level to push it over the top. Yes it changes the sound but to me not in a bad way. Hard to find but worth it.

I found the hotplate a waste of money. .. My Dual Rectifier sounds fine and very high gainish at lower volumes. I have a house, so i can go a little louder then say apt bedroom levels ..

I dont know .. I think its a waste of money.

^I actually played my recto without the hotplate today....

I think I'm going to sell it.

It has been stealing alot from my tone. The REAL treble (even though I was using the treble boost) is back, along with dynamics, response, bass, and gain! Almost seems clearer and more defined also.

Latest posts

Back