Anyone else get the hum after switching off?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mARKw

Reaction score
I am pretty sure this didn't happen before my rectifier tube was replaced: when I switch my amp off, the speaker hums for a few seconds then fades. Not too loud but definitely noticeable. Maybe it's normal... Does this happen to anyone else, or can anyone explain what's happening?
Cheers

Last time I experienced something like this was when my Mark IIC+ died on-stage. :lol:

I don't get it with my Lonestar. It's definitely something in the power section: you should get it looked at. Perhaps watch the tubes? Try swapping a few out with new ones and see if that helps. Might also be the rectifier tube OR caps (this usually applies to older amps, but still).

Hmm, doesn't sound too promising. I think I'll ring them and see what they say.
Luckily I'm not playing live at the moment so there's not the added stress...

I've been studying the tubes while powering on and off, and the speaker doesn't make the hiss/hum sound anymore! :?

That's a good thing, I guess. Maybe it had something to do with wearing in a new tube?? I have no idea... I am just happy when the amp works 8)

MrMarkIII said:
Are you putting the amp in standby before powering off?

Definitely, yeah. I usually leave it for a minute after I put it on standby before turning the main power off. Sometimes it's a quick minute when I get impatient... I'm not sure if you're supposed to wait any length of time before turning the main power off after the standby.

Turning the amp on I always let the tubes warm up before turning the stanby to "on".

mARKw said:
MrMarkIII said:
Are you putting the amp in standby before powering off?

Definitely, yeah. I usually leave it for a minute after I put it on standby before turning the main power off. Sometimes it's a quick minute when I get impatient... I'm not sure if you're supposed to wait any length of time before turning the main power off after the standby.

Turning the amp on I always let the tubes warm up before turning the stanby to "on".

Good routine! :D

You don't really have to wait any specific amount of time between putting it on standby and powering off, but it's good to wait a little while. I usually give it 10-15 seconds on standby, then power off. :wink:

Glad to hear it went away! Just remember keep a spare couple of power tubes with you at all times when you gig. These things can be unpredictable. :wink:

Back