Anybody Owns Both a LSS and a Vintage AC30?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mAx___

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody did a side by side comparison between the LSS and a '60s VOX AC30 or AC15 amp.
From memory, I feel the tone of channel 1 is very very close to a vintage AC30 but I don't own one to make some test recordings right now.

Cheers,
M.

Hi,

well, I have the LSC and early 62 Normal, non-top boosted AC30, though i have played the LSS while testing a couple of strats.

Tonally, I thought the LSS was much closer to an LSC than it was to my Vox, in as much as the LSC and LSS are much more 'fendery' sounding. They both bring out the quack of a strat 2 and 4 positions better than a vox can at similar volumes IMO. Vox is more jangly, both the lonestars are warmer, more glassy.

I found the LSS was an altogether different kettle of fish to an AC30. I think the different tone stacks and preamps have much more influence than them both having the same EL84 output section. But then there is quite a bit of variability between old voxes and I only have mine for comparison.

If you already own one and are thinking about buying the other, then I don't think you would be duplicating.

BTW the slave out signal from the Lonestar played through the brilliant channel of an old vox is quite something.

Cheers

felix vampiro said:
Hi,

well, I have the LSC and early 62 Normal, non-top boosted AC30, though i have played the LSS while testing a couple of strats.

Tonally, I thought the LSS was much closer to an LSC than it was to my Vox, in as much as the LSC and LSS are much more 'fendery' sounding. They both bring out the quack of a strat 2 and 4 positions better than a vox can at similar volumes IMO. Vox is more jangly, both the lonestars are warmer, more glassy.

I found the LSS was an altogether different kettle of fish to an AC30. I think the different tone stacks and preamps have much more influence than them both having the same EL84 output section. But then there is quite a bit of variability between old voxes and I only have mine for comparison.

If you already own one and are thinking about buying the other, then I don't think you would be duplicating.

BTW the slave out signal from the Lonestar played through the brilliant channel of an old vox is quite something.

Cheers

Amen...
Not knowing if your LSC has 6L6 or EL-34 tubes (the latter have more of a Brit-style chime): I lined up a mid-60's JMI AC30TB and a new TA-30 112 combo and here's my impressions:
1. With the TB switch "on" in the Channel 1 of the TA-30: it's VERY close in jangle tones to the AC30, and it was intended to be that way by Boogies own admission.
2. The TA is lighter in weight, has a fan on the tubes, the FX loop, and the 5-year warranty - this seals the deal.
3. Channel 2 on the TA beats the AC's crunch (to my ears) with it's tri-tone mini-toggle.
4. The reverb/fx switch (when on) has a slight "sibilance" to it, but still quieter that the AC30.
Bottom line: don't take anybody's word for it - try one out and hear it.
PS: I think the 2-12" TA-30 is still lighter than the AC30 too, and think of MB's build quality & roadworthyness.

guitardr

6L6s, although I have a set of EL34s, I always go back to the 6L6s.

I hear you about the TA30 - would love to get my hands on one: Vox and fendery/boogie tones with reverb!

Not many here in the UK yet and killer expensive.

Cheers

felix vampiro said:
Hi,

Cheers

Great post, I really appreciate your input. I don't find my LSS very "fendery" though, that's why I chose it over the LSC, but then again I don't have a vintage VOX like you for direct comparison. ;)
I would really like to get a non-TB late '62/early '63 AC30 but here in the US they are a bit more difficult to find, much less where I live...
I'd love to check the TA30 out!

guitardr said:
Amen...
Not knowing if your LSC has 6L6 or EL-34 tubes (the latter have more of a Brit-style chime): I lined up a mid-60's JMI AC30TB and a new TA-30 112 combo and here's my impressions:
1. With the TB switch "on" in the Channel 1 of the TA-30: it's VERY close in jangle tones to the AC30, and it was intended to be that way by Boogies own admission.
2. The TA is lighter in weight, has a fan on the tubes, the FX loop, and the 5-year warranty - this seals the deal.
3. Channel 2 on the TA beats the AC's crunch (to my ears) with it's tri-tone mini-toggle.
4. The reverb/fx switch (when on) has a slight "sibilance" to it, but still quieter that the AC30.
Bottom line: don't take anybody's word for it - try one out and hear it.
PS: I think the 2-12" TA-30 is still lighter than the AC30 too, and think of MB's build quality & roadworthyness.

Very interesting observations, now I HAVE to try one!! :)

I finally managed to try a TA-15 head this weekend at GC. I grabbed a Strat with standart Alnico pickups -similar to mine- and sat there for about half an hour. Too bad they don't carry the AT-30 combos but at least I could get an idea of what the amp sounds like. I concentrated on Channel 1 - Normal and Top Boost. Nice clean tones, very Voxy -though nothing that I could not get very close to with my LSS.

What I really wanted to do and was not able to, was getting some overdriven sound in Channel 1. Not sure whether it's not possible or I just couldn't find a way but it was a bit disappointing. I brought in my BSM treble booster and not even with it I could get a crunchier tone. I think Channel 1 needs a Master Volume, just like Channel 2, which has plenty of overdrive --but it's a more Marshall/Fendery type of sound that I don't really care about now.

I also found that the clean tones of single notes in the TA-15 were not as "round" as in my LSS. What am I missing?

mAx___ said:
What I really wanted to do and was not able to, was getting some overdriven sound in Channel 1. Not sure whether it's not possible or I just couldn't find a way but it was a bit disappointing. I brought in my BSM treble booster and not even with it I could get a crunchier tone. I think Channel 1 needs a Master Volume, just like Channel 2, which has plenty of overdrive

The cut control on channel 1 pulls out to become a master.

mAx___ said:
I also found that the clean tones of single notes in the TA-15 were not as "round" as in my LSS. What am I missing?

I found that the clean single notes on the TA-15 were not as round or fat as on my Express 5:50, either. I think it's the nature of the amp.

Thanks Don, I'll make sure to pull out that Master knob next time! :)

Personally I put vintage AC30s as having one of the rounder tones out there, I was expecting the TransAtlantics to honour that in some way...

Latest posts

Back