Anybody have this experience when changing speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axman53

Reaction score
I've got the LSS and have been wanting to try a different speaker, so finally got around to doing so. First I tried the Eminence Cannabis Rex, which really tightened up the bottom end but I didn't like what it did to the top end. From there I went to the Celestion Gold. Now, the Gold sounded great to my ears immediately. I liked everything about it, at home practice volume anyway.

I gigged with it for the first time last night. The cleans were great (channel 1, which I run 100% clean). Channel 2 sounded better that it ever has. I use channel 2 set slightly dirty and run various pedals into it to change the types of dirt for different tunes. Everything in the realm of overdrive sounded great (the channel 2 od by itself, and with the Timmy and the BB Preamp), but the one pedal I go to for high gain sounds (Keeler Designs Shove) sounded awful, as if the Shove distortion sound did not like the Gold at all. The distortion sounded exaggerated and did not project at all. I loved this pedal up until the Gold got installed, and now it appears I'll have to go searching for a different high gain pedal. So, is this common that a speaker change will disagree with certain pedals in some way? Also, this is my first experience with an alnico speaker magnet. Thanks for any input.

Yep you got it right. The speaker is responding to freqs in a differant way than before. some things will sound better and some worse. Thats why you will see in the forum that when guy's change amps or another piece of their chain, we get bent all out of shape because it didn't work like it did before. :evil: When I got my mkv I had to change how I used every pedal....But it is much better now than with My old amp...So don't be afraid to change it is good...

Same as Boogieman. Everything affects everything else. Sometimes it feels like you take 1 step forward and 2 steps back, but others you take two forward and one back.

axman53 said:
I've got the LSS and have been wanting to try a different speaker, so finally got around to doing so. First I tried the Eminence Cannabis Rex, which really tightened up the bottom end but I didn't like what it did to the top end. From there I went to the Celestion Gold. Now, the Gold sounded great to my ears immediately. I liked everything about it, at home practice volume anyway.

I gigged with it for the first time last night. The cleans were great (channel 1, which I run 100% clean). Channel 2 sounded better that it ever has. I use channel 2 set slightly dirty and run various pedals into it to change the types of dirt for different tunes. Everything in the realm of overdrive sounded great (the channel 2 od by itself, and with the Timmy and the BB Preamp), but the one pedal I go to for high gain sounds (Keeler Designs Shove) sounded awful, as if the Shove distortion sound did not like the Gold at all. The distortion sounded exaggerated and did not project at all. I loved this pedal up until the Gold got installed, and now it appears I'll have to go searching for a different high gain pedal. So, is this common that a speaker change will disagree with certain pedals in some way? Also, this is my first experience with an alnico speaker magnet. Thanks for any input.

Thats great that you had such a positive experience with the G12 in that amp - sans the pedals. I don't use pedals, as I don't perform, and try to get what I can out of the tonal abilities of each of the amps that I have. I recently purchased my LSS, and also thought about putting a G12 in it, as I have a PRRI that I put a G10 into, and it is like night and day. Have you done the other mods that others' here refer to, i.e, the reeder mod, or just changing the tubes?? Is your LSS new, or older stock? I ask that because I have been told that there were some issues with earlier production LLS amps that have since been addressed. I'm liking it so far (far more versatile that the PRRI, though I wouldn't say it replaces the PRRI, just a more versatile variant on the PRRI).

Jared Purdy said:
Thats great that you had such a positive experience with the G12 in that amp - sans the pedals. I don't use pedals, as I don't perform, and try to get what I can out of the tonal abilities of each of the amps that I have. I recently purchased my LSS, and also thought about putting a G12 in it, as I have a PRRI that I put a G10 into, and it is like night and day. Have you done the other mods that others' here refer to, i.e, the reeder mod, or just changing the tubes?? Is your LSS new, or older stock? I ask that because I have been told that there were some issues with earlier production LLS amps that have since been addressed. I'm liking it so far (far more versatile that the PRRI, though I wouldn't say it replaces the PRRI, just a more versatile variant on the PRRI).
I haven't done the Reeder mod, no. I have replaced the stock tubes once since I've owned the amp. I think there are JJ's in the output tube section and some matched 12AX7's in the preamp, EXCEPT for V1 which I replaced with a 5751. You can follow that discussion here:
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=9366546

My amp is in the serial number 4000 range. The only MESA authorized mod in mine is the fix for the 5Y3 rectifier tube life which has worked extremely well. You should be able to get close to the PRRI with channel 1 set to 5W, tweaking the tone controls, and with the right speaker, IMO.

Back