Any Boogies that'll give me a Vox AC30 tone/vibe?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
Any Boogies that'll give me a Vox AC30 vibe? I'm looking to buy a new amp and the AC30 and Dr. Z Maz Sr are the two I'm looking at... but I'm leaning more towards the AC30 (only got about $900).

Thoughs, sugggestions?

PS. yes, I'm selling my Genz Benz El Diablo to get a new amp (don't worry, I'm not getting rid of the RK!).

I don't think so.

Part of what makes the AC30 sound the way it does is the smaller EL84 tubes. But the Mesa/Boogie amps offering a British sound use the larger EL34 tubes as found in the larger Marshall amps (low-end Marshall tube amps use the EL84s).

While we've found in reviewing that we can get great classic Fender and Marshall tones from the Boogie lineup, I haven't found a tone where I said "oh yeah, that's a VOX."

Ironically, I'm thinking of picking up a 1x12 AC-30 combo for practice at home specifically because I don't get that sound from my Road King II.

Scott

Hi, there are several Mesa amps built on an EL84 platform and which might compete in the same tonal world as the vox AC30 and its infinite clones.

The one that stands out in my mind is the Blue Angel, an inspiring EL84 and/or 6V6 powered amp which gets less acclaim than it deserves.

I'd like to do a shoot out with a B.A. against an AC30. That would be a good evening or even a nice, long and rainy weekend.

Happy hunting.

M

Well, I took the plunge and got the real thing on ebay last night.... Should be here the first part of the week (next week). A Vox AC30cc1 the 1x12 version......... the original owner put a Weber Blue Dog Alnico speaker in it and swapped out the stock preamp tubes with JJ's. I was wanting the 2x12, but for some reason when I seen the 1x12 it seemed more of what I was looking for...... I sure hope it's not too "small" sounding being only a 1x12?

If it is "Too small sounding," just call Ted Weber and tell him that you want it to sound more full, larger, etc.

He will know what speaker you need.

The Blue Dog is a huge favorite with some of the Fender & Marshall guys.

Weber speakers are top notch, and some of the absolute best in my opinion.

www.tedweber.com

tele_jas said:
Well, I took the plunge and got the real thing on ebay last night.... Should be here the first part of the week (next week). A Vox AC30cc1 the 1x12 version......... the original owner put a Weber Blue Dog Alnico speaker in it and swapped out the stock preamp tubes with JJ's. I was wanting the 2x12, but for some reason when I seen the 1x12 it seemed more of what I was looking for...... I sure hope it's not too "small" sounding being only a 1x12?

Actually I was going to suggest a Lone Star (the 30 watt Class A version). I think you would be able to get that kind of mids-y sparkle and honk out of that. Although I wouldnt mind getting a Vox some day! You just cant fake the original! Hope you like it and nice score on that speaker! I havent heard one but frome what I understand that speaker rivals all others for the best speaker ever made tag. I know they go for $250! Being that the AC30 is a 112 though, I would watch how loud you play though--I believe those Blue Alnico's are 15 watt speakers. :wink:

The Subway Blues is another non master mesa that seems to be cut from the same cloth as the Blue Angel. I found the Subway gets the Vox sound a bit better, but it maybe because it's pushed easier. These amps will get you into some VoxISH tones, but as previously stated, there's nothing like the real thing. I've got both and they are both great amps that cover the clean to OD thing really nicely. But neither cured my AC itch.

I've got to put a plug in for the AC15CC since we're on the subject. Kick *** little amp for $599. I'm quite happy with it even though it doesn't have a Blue in it. Keep us posted on your new AC30.

Monsta-Tone said:
If it is "Too small sounding," just call Ted Weber and tell him that you want it to sound more full, larger, etc.

He will know what speaker you need.

The Blue Dog is a huge favorite with some of the Fender & Marshall guys.

Weber speakers are top notch, and some of the absolute best in my opinion.

www.tedweber.com
tele_jas, congratulation on your AC30 Vox purchase.

Yup, for blues, 60ish rock 'n' roll, even classic Rock, Blue Dogs are great sounding.

Here's mine in an Allen 5F1+.
ChampPlusBack.jpg

Get the LSS. El-84's and awesome tone. I do not know anyone who has not liked it. Don't try to get metal or extreme rock sounds out of it and it will serve you well.

Yeah I was going to say, Lonestar Special has a definite Vox vibe to it with a bit more oomph - especially if you retube with JJ's or somesuch. A lot more versatility as well.

I'm quite happy with the AC30ishness of my LSS... also, the 15 and 5 watt step down really gives you a close appoximation of two different amps of the same lineage. AC30 tones and pushed AC15 tones all in one amp. Very nice!

Back