Any amp with the clean from Mark IV??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lookslikemeband

Reaction score
Hey Gang -

I got out my Mark IV today, cleaned it all up, re-tubed it with nice, new, matched tubes....

I've gotta say... WOW!!!

I really, really like the clean tone of the Mark IV ...

What other M/B amps have similar characteristics on their clean channel???

I've got a TOV, Duo, Single and ROV and they don't sound like this.... And I'm actually thinking this might be TOO much amp for me (HOLY COMPLEX), and get something simpler with a Mark's clean character....

Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Thanks!

Lance

The Dual Caliber (DC) series has a clean channel that is similar to the Mark IV. But I think the Mark IV is better. I guess the old Studio.22 and the Caliber.50 amps are similar too.

The other Mark series amps have similar clean. I´ve heard that the further back in the Mark series you go the better the clean sound. I don´t know if that´s true, but the Mark IIb that I played had a great clean sound. I prefer the Mark IV clean to that of my Mark III though.

There are some preamps that have a similar sound too, the Studio preamp, Quad preamp and the Triaxis preamp.

The best Mesa clean I have heard was from the Lone star series.

How 'bout a Super Reverb?

Maybe a Twin?

Too heavy? How about a nice Deluxe Reverb?

I prefer to stay in the Mesa family.... I've owned a Twin and Deluxe Reverb before.....

hmmm... what to do.... :?:

lookslikemeband said:
Hey Gang -
I've gotta say... WOW!!!

I really, really like the clean tone of the Mark IV ...

Lance

Lance, I think you might have answered your own question.

Something simpler might be nice, but you already have an amp with a clean tone you "really, really like."

I'm right there with you by the way, I also really, really the clean tone in my Mark IV. For me the other stuff is just gravy. I dial in the clean tone and I'm happy, it what I use most of the time anyway. I set the EQ as a boost for solos set the gain on Rhy2 for a little character and get a nice lead tone. But the clean is what does it for me.

Why go look for something else to do what the amp you have already does?

Rythum Yellow on the V2 TriAxis is designed after the Mark IV rythum channel but it's certainly not a simpler amp then the Mark IV. I have both of those amps, and those two channels on those two amps are indeed two of my all time favorites also.

Why go look for something else to do what the amp you have already does?

I'm just thinking that the MarkIV might be "too much" amp to use for just clean.

I might even sell it if I can find another model that does a similar clean... like an F series or something....

Honestly if I were to select an amp based *soley* on cleans I'd go with either a Fender Deluxe Reverb or a Twin, depending on how much headroom I needed. Though I love the MkIV clean I love the Fender cleans (and reverb) even more. Reason I went with the mesa is the versatility and the fabulous singing lead channel

Latest posts

Back