Any 50 cal + experts? Model Year ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, there is a better that even chance that I don't know my head from my *** here but....

I have a .50 cal + head, as far as i know the 50 cal's only had 6l6s, the .22 cal is the one that had the el84s, the diff between the 50 and the 50+ is the addition of the lead master volume and maybe the GEQ???

for my money it's the best of the mark series, it crushed both my MKIII and my MKIIC+, in head to head tests.

They are awesome underrated and under priced amps.

Told you I had my head up my ***, now i want to know the answer as well. what was the .22 then???

BTW ... I picked up a mesa stiletto 2x12 cab with the vintage 30's, that cab was made for that head!!! The stiletto cab is not nearly as boomy/ bassy as the recto cab, very mid-rangey very focused.

My tone is ungodly now it is the tone i've have been after all my life.

The clean is as good as any of the marks, except the clean channel on the mark I which is unreal, but the gain on the .50 cal+ blows them all away.

I don't know for sure, but any 50 cal+ with el84's is earlier than a 6L6 model. They went to 6L6 pretty quick after the introduction of the 50 cal+.

I've got both a .50cal+ and a MKIII. The Lead channels are real similar and to my ears I think the .50cal+ is a little more aggressive, but not by much. You can get a much cleaner clean channel with the MKIII, if you want a CLEAN ch with the .50 cal the lead channel will suffer and vice versa. And the MKIII is MUCH louder.

Just took the chassis out of mine, its dated 2/12/93. What power tubes are you running? Ive tried Mesa 440s and JJs. The JJs seem bring the tone out the amp a bit more. I may try some SED =C=.

I would run anything but Mesa labled tubes, almost anything sounds better to my ears. Mines been modded by Gerald at Kendrick amps to run 6550's, I also had him put 100 watt transformers in...that's why mine is called "Frankenstein"....

slayer44 said:
Vigo, could you do a compare/contrast of the MkIII and 50+?

soundwise they're very similar, although the III is more of a refined sound plus in the lead channel you can hear the "pick click" more (maybe cause of the EL34s? . . . ) and somewhat more responsive to harder/softer you play. and the .50 is a lil more buzzy to my ears than the III. plusd the III is more agressive (mine is the blue stripe).

although i really like the MkIII's clean channel, the .50+ has one of the best clean sounds of all the Mesas ive played. Not those glassy Fender type cleans (although with the graphic you can get close), but more reminiscent of old Blackfaces, with fat, big notes.

regarding versatility you can put this way: you can pretty much nail all .50+s tones on the III, but not the opposite.

and both accept pedals very well 8)

Latest posts

Back