another mark III tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoi

Reaction score
Recently istarted twisting the knobs of my rusty mark III again and i came up with a nice dream theateresque high gain tone.
vol1 : 8 (pull bright)
treble : 8
bass : about 1
middle : about 1 or 0.5
master : as you like (no pull deep)
lead drive : 8
lead master : 2.5 to 3

presence : 5

this setting should be ok for guitars with humbuckers (i have a strat type with floyd rose and duncan custom in bridge position)

its most important to set the eq now right :
boost the 80hz almost to the top line
240 hz between middle and top line
750 hz a bit und middle line
use the 2200 and 6600 hz sliders to remove the harsh- and brightness. You won´t need to boost these frequencies.
6600 hz at about midway between middle and bottom line
2200 hz a bit under middle line - should still be above 750 hz - but use your ear ...

what do you think ?

i should add that the eq should be always on, so that it makes the clean channel more usable and not terribly thin ;)

Which speaker is in this amp? Or is it a head with seperate cab?

I don't particularly like the EQ settings... With the tone pots and EQ set as described, I then dropped out the EQ and found it to be more pleasing as an Iron Maiden tone...
What I did for a Petrucci is EQ:
80- middle of top line
240-a hair above mid line
750-2 hairs above bottom line
2200- up to bottom of top line
6600-directly between bottom and mid line
I also pulled the bass knob for fat pinches..presence at 3, reverb 7
Harmonics jump out with my RG in this setting... I like it alot.
ax. :twisted:
BTW.. Keep the master up as high as you can with a low lead master..

axwielding1 said:
I don't particularly like the EQ settings... With the tone pots and EQ set as described, I then dropped out the EQ and found it to be more pleasing as an Iron Maiden tone...
What I did for a Petrucci is EQ:
80- middle of top line
240-a hair above mid line
750-2 hairs above bottom line
2200- up to bottom of top line
6600-directly between bottom and mid line
I also pulled the bass knob for fat pinches..presence at 3, reverb 7
Harmonics jump out with my RG in this setting... I like it alot.
BTW.. Keep the master up as high as you can with a low lead master..

Thats just like in his old rig pictures !!! You Dog.

@BPski : i use a simulclass head with one 1x12 thiele cab.
@axewieling : why do aou think that petrcci scoops the mids so extreme? Live at the marquee sounds like that but not the later live albums (once in a livetime / or scenes form NY) :shock:

additionally i don´t like to pull the bass knobs - tends to make the tone flubby. Until recently i noticed that the mids knob is also very important. there is a huge difference in tightness between 5 and (almost) 0.

some days ago i played through a laney vh100r. The amp was pretty cool, and that is why i thought i´d have to change my amps settings again.

so far,
ahoi

:p

Maybe it has to do with the GT12AX7M's I have in V1 V2 V3. In a clean setting, the mids are more pronounced, so in the lead channel, I may be pulling more out in the EQ.
When I set the EQ, I usually dial in a tone without the EQ first, to get a rough tone. Then, I kick in the EQ, all sliders down, and raise each one until it sounds good, then lower it and move to the next. I then go back and set 'em where I rememberd the best tone, and further tweak...
Maybe I am scoopimg too much, but that 750 slider gets barky on me quick. Plus I run 2 thiele/EV cabs.

Latest posts

Back