Anemic sounding Mark I

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyRasgueado

Reaction score
Hiya gang:

Long time reader, first time poster. So I found a Mark I at a local guitar store. It looks to be in pretty good shape. 100/60, reverb, no graphic, JBL speaker. I've been gigging with a Mark V and a Triaxis for about three years, so I was expecting to be blown away by the sound, but it was pretty thin and anemic. Even with both volumes on 10 and the Treble on 10 there was nowhere near the saturation compared to what the Mark V and Triaxis pump out in their respective Mark I modes.

I was really expecting it to sound like the Mark V's Channel 2 and/or the Triaxis L1 Green. Was I expecting too much, or does this sound like a sickly Boogie?

Many thanks,

--jr

Cool. Many thanks for the replies. Just to be sure we're on the same page, though, it doesn't sound like it needs power tubes. The amount of gain on tap is just really weak compared to what I'm used to with the Mark V's and Triaxis' "Mark I" modes.

I guess my question is this: Does the Mark V/Triaxis accurately represent the amount of gain offered by a Mark I, or are they "souped up"? Can I reasonably expect an original Mark I to put out the gain of the V/Triaxis "Mark I" modes?

Thanks again, and best regards,

--jr

Indeed, it sounds like a tube issue - I would start with fresh power tubes, and troubleshoot the preamp tubes by swapping a new 12AX7 into each position - one position at a time.

If the amp has not had a general service, it is definitely time - and should come here to the factory to be re-worked by Mike B - nobody knows those amps like he does.

Thanks!

If it has never been re-capped,its time.These are the simplest of all the Boogies and there is no need to send it to Mesa,any decent tech can handle it,probly half the cost as sending it to Mesa.New tubes are likely the best way to go.You have no idea how much wear is on the ones you have,best to start fresh,save the old pre's for spares.The problem you describe is definately indicative of tubes and caps.

Back