Amp selections help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biazzaz

Reaction score
Ok so last week I got a little bored and realized that I never use my Dual Rec half stack anymore because its to big to lug around, and when at home its to big (litteraly) for my room. I threw it on ebay, and its long gone on its way to a happy bidder.

Enter the need for a new combo amp. I love mesa. The only other one that I have owned was a custom f-30 that I had for a short time. The dual sounds amazing and I have to have something close to that tone. The f-30 was not bad, but was lacking some... balls maybe?

I do prefer 2x12, and my initial idea was to get a RK because lets face it what an amazing amp right? Then I got to thinking about how I'm not really that much of a tweaker. Decided that maybe a Roadster would be a better choice, and probably more within my price range.

So the questions I give to you... if you have some time to write back is... What other amps that I may not have thought of could fit my pretty simple bill? I was thinking maybe a Rect-o-verb? never really heard one. I play pretty much with only a few tones and make them fit to what songs I need. Mainly I have a heavy rock tone (garden variety really the basic heavy recto tone), blues/classic rock tone (again nothing crazy), and the usual cleans. Seems pretty simple for just about any mesa right? I will add that I felt the f-30 could not get the heavy sound I needed, but more than fit the bill for the other two tones (maybe even more so than the recto) and it is not a 2x12. Also although reverb is nice I very seldom find myself using it.

thanks for advice guys
Mike

biazzaz said:
Ok so last week I got a little bored and realized that I never use my Dual Rec half stack anymore because its to big to lug around, and when at home its to big (litteraly) for my room. I threw it on ebay, and its long gone on its way to a happy bidder.

Enter the need for a new combo amp. I love mesa. The only other one that I have owned was a custom f-30 that I had for a short time. The dual sounds amazing and I have to have something close to that tone. The f-30 was not bad, but was lacking some... balls maybe?

I do prefer 2x12, and my initial idea was to get a RK because lets face it what an amazing amp right? Then I got to thinking about how I'm not really that much of a tweaker. Decided that maybe a Roadster would be a better choice, and probably more within my price range.

So the questions I give to you... if you have some time to write back is... What other amps that I may not have thought of could fit my pretty simple bill? I was thinking maybe a Rect-o-verb? never really heard one. I play pretty much with only a few tones and make them fit to what songs I need. Mainly I have a heavy rock tone (garden variety really the basic heavy recto tone), blues/classic rock tone (again nothing crazy), and the usual cleans. Seems pretty simple for just about any mesa right? I will add that I felt the f-30 could not get the heavy sound I needed, but more than fit the bill for the other two tones (maybe even more so than the recto) and it is not a 2x12. Also although reverb is nice I very seldom find myself using it.

thanks for advice guys
Mike

The roadster would be a nice fit, as would be a Stiletto Duece or even a Mark IV... also don't rule out other companies. I would go play anything and everything and see what you like the best. VHT's Sig X is a killer amp with a tone of tonal options (but you have to dig the VHt tone). I also find the Egnator Tourmaster to be a killer amp at a killer value. 4 channels, amazing cleans, and it can get heavy. And if you had the road king in mind and could afford the echilon, look into the Bogners, ENGLs, Orange thunderverb, or even ENGLs. Tons of options out there.

I hated moving my combo around (Rectoverb), and I was looking for a different sound. I ended up with a Stiletto Deuce head and a Boogafunk 1x12 Theile cab equipped with a 200w EV 12L. Not only does it sound great, but it's so much easier to transport. And it's **** loud!

Express 5:50

biazzaz said:

thanks for advice guys
Mike

Back