Amp Identification! Help plsss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abernethyfj

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First time poster but ive been a creep here for ages. Currently own a v2 single rectifier head but i just found a gem in my local guitar shop. dont have a clue what model it is but took some photos i will attach. this thing was a beast i tell you. i dont really buy into all the model comparisons like iia vs iic etc but im pretty sure this is a mark iib. whatever it is im going to go back and buy it tomorrow i just would like some info so i can see what to offer them.

Cheers,

Frank

Note the accutronics spring tank, is this stock or aftermarket? there was a huge cutout in the head enclosure underneath to allow space for it puckoing out the bottom

It is definitely a Mark III and, I would say, an early one because the Pull Rhythm 2 label has been added at a later stage.
It is most probably a black stripe.

Yep, early Mark III long head without graphic EQ. Can't tell if it's simul-class or not, but it features the export transformer, which is nice.

yeah well im from australia so the tranny makes sense. simulclass is running different tubes together? or is it the half power? cos this amp has 60/100 watt switch, anyway im pretty sure i can pick this thing up for about a grand :D

anyone know what theyre usually worth? i can say it was in decent nick for its age. new tubes and no scratchy pots, everything worked although am yet to try the fx loop.

also is the graphic eq still available as an uprgrade? will mesa do it?

edit: will be back there today so will post up the serial # from my phone

apon closer inspection of other photos i took there seems to be no stripe OR dot anywhere near the power cord. there is a little red sticker with dates on it (maybe '91) that i assume are a techs service dates. does this lump her in with the early black dot mark 3's?

edit: theres a number pressed into the metal under the speaker jacks which looks like 16766, is this the #?

abernethyfj said:
apon closer inspection of other photos i took there seems to be no stripe OR dot anywhere near the power cord. there is a little red sticker with dates on it (maybe '91) that i assume are a techs service dates. does this lump her in with the early black dot mark 3's?

Yes, an early MkIII (Mark III serial numbers run:15001 to 28384
From a thread on MkIII serial numbers:
igfraso said:
You are asking for ballpark numbers. The following numbers give you just some rough idea:

- black ('85~'86): 15001 to 16715
- purple ('86): 16657 to 19059
- red ('87): 19100 to 21863
- blue ('88): 21825 to 24933
- green ('89~'9?): 24940 to 28384

As you can see there is some overlapping and also some blank spaces. Please, keep in mind that serial numbers for heads sometimes extend beyond the above mentioned ranges.
Just trying to help.
Daniel

Regards
Daniel

edit: theres a number pressed into the metal under the speaker jacks which looks like 16766, is this the #?

Yes. Fwiw as Daniel states above there is some overlap.
While yours indicates it's in the purple stripe range it could very easily be in the earlier range

Mesa can still add the graphic eq (not sure if they have any MkIII plates left) but by the time you are done it'll cost you about what you paid for the amp.
(EQ Mod last I knew was $400; plus shipping - AUS to and from Mesa is probably at least $200 each way)
Mike B often tells people to save their money and just use a pedal EQ (example MXR 10 band EQ).
It's not a Simul Class, if it was it'd have a "Simul" Tranny and the switch would have Simul/Class A written over/ under.
If it says 60/100 it's the 60 watt/ 100 watt model (two power tubes running or all four running).

Well, it's a long head, so it wouldn't say "Class A"/"Simul-class" on the switch even if it were simul-class. The long heads all just say "Full pwr"/"1/2 pwr".

i'd just add a nice in-line pedal eq....

either in front of the preamp, or in the loop.

make it programmable, and you've got a lot of options going on....

like this:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/May/Source_Audio_Programmable_EQ_Pedal_Review.aspx

Cheers for the info guys, and yep thats exactly what the mesa rep told me. I happen to have an mxr 10band which worked wonders on my single recto so ill just keep using it :D gonna put a deposit on it tomorrow, can't believe they are selling it for $950. it sounds incredible with a slight boost from my mi audio boost buffer.

might post some clips of the mk3 vs my single rec over the weekend before i sell it

Whoopysnorp said:
Well, it's a long head, so it wouldn't say "Class A"/"Simul-class" on the switch even if it were simul-class. The long heads all just say "Full pwr"/"1/2 pwr".

true well i guess ill have to find out, really wanna run kt77s in the outside for 60w mode and michael at eurotubes said you gotta have simulclass for anything other than 6l6gc to work in the mk3. will an amp tech be able to tell from the plate voltages?

gonzo said:
i'd just add a nice in-line pedal eq....

either in front of the preamp, or in the loop.

make it programmable, and you've got a lot of options going on....

like this:
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2012/May/Source_Audio_Programmable_EQ_Pedal_Review.aspx

56-bit holy cow, thats an interesting pedal....

Back