Altec 417-8H info please

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will probably sound too bright on a IIC+.
That speaker goes OK with a Mark I or a IIA, which are darker amps.
Regards

If you've heard Carlos Santana you've heard the 417-8H. The metal dome does start to sound shrill at higher levels of gain and distortion but for clean and bluesy breakup it's one of the sweetest speakers you'll find.

The Altec 417 8H has 2 different production eras. Known as Series I and Series II. Series II for some reason are less desirable. It is confirmed that as Altec was going down the toilet they had Electro Voice make the last batch of Series II's. Some of them will say Made in Buchanan, Michigan. They sound great. But for the most part it's the early Series I drivers that have the most rabid following.

All 417's had Alnico V magnet assemblies. Regardless of year and production location.

Rated at a modest 100 watts. What's special about these drivers is their extended high frequency response. 60-8000 HZ.

Initially born as the 417-8 it developed into the 8H. 417-8B's and 417-8C's are just as tasty. Designed as a full range PA driver or similar application they quickly became known as an MI speaker and Altec marketed it as such. A good place to find old Altecs is in old theater PA systems that are auctioned off. A recent score for example was a sealed cabinet from the Zigfeld Theater here in NYC. I bought it at auction for peanuts and inside were JBL K120's and Altec 417 8H's.

As for the common complaint that they are too shrill, I don't agree at all. You just need to adjust your tone control on the IIC+ accordingly. It's the handling of the higher frequency that make these drivers shine.

One main problem with the 417 is the surround is very prone to decay and fatigue so unless you are getting an NOS one you might just want to get a blown Altec basket for significantly cheaper and have it professionally reconed.

For the record, Santana use of 8H's was very short. It's arguable if he even used them at all. He favored the 8C's and his original Boogies were loaded with either 8B's or 8C's.

Randy Rhodes used the 8H exclusively for a while.

Great Plains Audio in Oklahoma City is making the 417 again under their own name. Supposedly on the original tooling and manufacturing machines owned by Altec. I'd be interested if anyone has tried these.

Ive used a 2x12 JBL K120 Cab with my 2C+

Cleans sound absolutely amazing ...lots of punch and high end articulation..REALLY hifi sounding.

Lead channel sounds better with EVM12L...

The sound signature of the Altec and JBL are very similar, except maybe that the Altec is rolled off a little flatter in the highs.

I was about to buy a Great Plains Audio 417, and then I found two originals on eBay for a good deal (especially after my paypal coupon). They should be here this week :D

(...despite the fact that I already list them in my signature...)

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=29938

Looks like a recone but the paper dome is IMO much more desirable. Thanks for getting me straightened out on Carlos's preferences. I've owned both the 8C's and 8H's and like I said before, they sound killer at milder breakup bluesy distortion settings and heavenly when clean, but hit them with a serious high gain overdrive crunch tone and the metal dome makes me cringe. Just my 2 cents anyway.

By the way just saw a pair of Altec series II 10" on Fleabay.

For the record, Santana use of 8H's was very short. It's arguable if he even used them at all. He favored the 8C's and his original Boogies were loaded with either 8B's or 8C's.
UNQUOTE

I agree. The pictures I have seen of Carlos' Boogies showed that he was using both 8B's and 8C's.
Regards

I remember reading in an interview that carlos' fav speaker is the 8H reconed in hemp

I've got a pair of 417's in a old style metal grill cab. They sound great with every amp that I have. They are bright. They don't sound well in a small room. I would buy another set, one of the best sounding speakers imo!

Jonarobb:
I was told that EVM12L's have an efficiency of 100 db.
Do you know the efficiency of Altecs 417 8B and 8H?
Thanks
Daniel

Latest posts

Back