Almost embarassed to ask this - Triaxis direct into PA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

six20aus

Reaction score
Okay so I have been using amp modellers for simplicity for awhile but I just don't love my tone like I used to love my F50. Am wondering if Mesa have a rackmount that I can use as a pre just to plug straight into the PA and get a real warm tube tone which I can also use fx with.

Every post talks about using Mesa (or other brand) valve power amps designed specifically for guitars...

Is it a dumb question ?
I'm after tone but also simplicity... not a newb either being playing since I was 8 and I'm 37...

You could run any preamp into a PA, but it's not going to sound as full as it would into a tube power amp. The power amp is where the real magic comes into play for tube amps.

If you're looking to spend the money on a Triaxis, I would recommend going for a used 50/50 or maybe a 2:50, 2:90, or 2:100 power amp. Running a pre into a PA would do for a while, but overall I think you would find it much more apriciable to have a dedicated power amp and cabinet along with the pre.

too funny - I was too ashamed to ask the same question especially being new here although i've been checking out the board for a while.

about a year ago my band went to all in-ear monitors and since then I run direct with a triaxis and g-major. works pretty well. not the same feeling as my mark iv and 4x12 (can't feel pant legs vibrate) but the true stereo in the ears comes pretty close to making up for it - and the tone is still there - i still get lots of compliments from other players on the sound of the triaxis. Also, with no backline amps (electronic drums too) the sound tech has nothing to gripe about - although i do miss annoying him at times.

I'm not familiar with the F50 but am 98% happy going from a mark iv to the current set up. Still tweaking - always tweaking...

hope it helps.

Back