Advice on amp selection

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinelake

Reaction score
Just joined the forum.

I've been a Marshall guy for the last 20 years (Silver Jubilee 2-12 combo). I now play jazz / blues / fusion and looking for a smaller, versatile amp. The Juby is in pristine condition and I'm happy keeping it at home (pretty heavy too).

I've been researching Rivera's and Mesa's. Seems both camps respect each other and love their respective products. Within a price tag ranging from $1,000 to $1,500, is there a Mesa that would be highly recommended for versatility for the music styles I play? I've never been much for pedals. I use a Fulltone Wah and a Digital Delay. The gains I like to come from the amp.

Thanks for replies.

I play an Express 5:25 head. IMO, it is quite versatile. I use guitar straight into it for jazz gigs. For other stuff, I run my pedal board with it (some pedals out front, some in the loop). It has good reverb, tone controls are effective, contour control is great, four modes offer plenty to experiment with.

Thanks for the reply. Have you any experience with other Mesa products? I don't want to make my selection overly complicated. I have a friend using a Mark V, but his group plays higher volume material. Sounds awsome but too much for my needs.

Thanks again.

I tried a lot of the Mesa amps before deciding on the 5:50. I play a very wide range of music and the only genre that the amp itself can't fully cover is industrial death metal.....but I don't play that stuff anyway. :) To my ears, the 5:50 covers all the ground I need from fabulous cleans to glorious overdrives. Plus it takes pedals well. I play a range of guitars from 80's hair band guitars to tele's to Gretsch's to Les Paul's and it doesn't disappoint on any of them. I think you'd be quite pleased with one.

Not a "death metal" guy either... although it's what ever you find to express yourself. My local music shop is willing to let me take the Express home for a weekend as well as a Rivera Venus 3. I listen to a lot on Youtube and my ears keep going back and forth. Thanks for your input.

Indiana

Pinelake
I suggest you take the 5:50 home and test it out.
And do the same with the Lonestar Classic, Lonestar Special, Electrodyne and the Mark V.
All great amps. See which one you prefer.
Just remember with nearly all Mesas.
Always keep the bass dial under 11 oclock :mrgreen:

Maverick or Lonestar might be worth a look too. I agree the 5:50 is really versatile.

Thanks folks...

That's the fun of trying. I love the vintage Marshall sound, but ready for a new path. I could have sworn the Mesa's go to 12 but I'll keep it under 11. I'm basically a Les Paul (1977 Gold Top)l guy with influences of Duane Allman, Jeff Beck and Jimi. Love a lot of the fusion players too. Very fond of my Strat and looking for that amp that will take both.

A great forum here and I'll stay tuned.
Indiana

Adjust the tone knobs exactly wherever the amp sounds the best. I get fabulous sounds from my 5:25 and the tone controls are all over the map. Depends on how much distortion you use and your guitar/effects, and style of music.

As everyone has said the Express is versatile. My LP and My Strats all sound great, I usingally go straight in or sometimes use an OCD set up as more of a trebble boost than for drive. Personally I am still looking for a bit more though. I have recently tried out a Mark V and would go that way if money was not an issue. I also love the Electadyne which is a great amp, but is a little compromised being single channel.

Pinelake said:
My local music shop is willing to let me take the Express home for a weekend as well as a Rivera Venus 3.

Do NOT pass up that offer. That is exactly the choice I came to when I made my purchase, but I did not have the opportunity to do side by side with the Venus.

I am sure this entire forum would love to hear your opinions on that comparison. I've not played a Venus, but my own clip research has made me wonder if that might be the best "please the masses" amp Rivera has ever offered.

I don't honestly know if you can find any other Mesa, other than the Express, brand new for under $2k. If you buy used you will get more choices, and you know that used Mesas are more likely to be in good service than a lot of other used brands might be.

Great replies and thanks to all.

I would like to stay in the Express price range, but willing to at least consider other lines and pricing. I had hoped to not go much over $1,500 . Ideally 25 watts would be my mark, but I could stand 50 as a max. Anymore than that and I'm not going to get the tubes going. Anyone here with opinions on the Stiletto? I think the Mark V would be too much and haven't looked into the Electrodyne yet.

Thanks again

Pinelake said:
Great replies and thanks to all.

I would like to stay in the Express price range, but willing to at least consider other lines and pricing. I had hoped to not go much over $1,500 . Ideally 25 watts would be my mark, but I could stand 50 as a max. Anymore than that and I'm not going to get the tubes going. Anyone here with opinions on the Stiletto? I think the Mark V would be too much and haven't looked into the Electrodyne yet.

Thanks again

Pinelake - If you'd prefer a small wattage amp then you should really check out the Egnater Rebel 30.
Costs only $750 and sounds almost as good as the 5:25 to me and is equally versatile & light.
Some people prefer it, especially if you want Marshallesque crunch tones on its EL84 side.
Value for money wise - the Rebel 30 can't be beat IMO :)

I would have a short list of the 5:25, the Rivera option is nice, Mesa TransAtlantic, a used Mav/Lonestar. Not the Egnater. Not trying to start a flame war over a brand of amps but, at the guitar center here they call them "Negnaters" since they quite often come back and show up as negative sales. Bad comments on this and other forums.

FWIW, the guitar shops I haunt all have Mesa. And I usually hit the Express 5:25 to try out guitars. A little amp with a huge sack. Great for bluesy noodling and classic rock. Cleans up for some Pat Methey type of jazzy licks. It is quite loud and is obviously very easy to move. Toss a little delay on it and it is a awesome little giant killer.

I just talked to another old buddy that had quite a run with Boogie's. For the genre I'm playing and price tag, he sang praises of the Express. Looking forward to test driving this little babe.

Nice quote on the distribution of funds in the previous post. Woo hoo.
Indiana

Heritage Softail said:
I would have a short list of the 5:25, the Rivera option is nice, Mesa TransAtlantic, a used Mav/Lonestar. Not the Egnater. Not trying to start a flame war over a brand of amps but, at the guitar center here they call them "Negnaters" since they quite often come back and show up as negative sales. Bad comments on this and other forums.

FWIW, the guitar shops I haunt all have Mesa. And I usually hit the Express 5:25 to try out guitars. A little amp with a huge sack. Great for bluesy noodling and classic rock. Cleans up for some Pat Methey type of jazzy licks. It is quite loud and is obviously very easy to move. Toss a little delay on it and it is a awesome little giant killer.
Really? Yeah dude to me the Egnaters sound real good.

Back