Adam Jones (TOOL) - More Rectifier or Mark?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Adam Jones uses a Diezel VH4 slazed into a Marshall Super Bass, but he has used Dual Recitifiers in the past. My question is, what would be more suitable to get his sound, a Mark or Rectifier series? I know absolutely nothing about Diezel amps or how they sound, so I don't know how to compare them to Mesa's. I can somewhat get his tone out of my Mark III, but something is missing. And no, I'm not going to go and buy a Diezel VH4 and Marshall Super Bass. :lol:

you need a recto to get that loose subsonic bassy tone.. a recto with the dials at noon pretty much nails his tone with a les paul.

Platypus said:
you need a recto to get that loose subsonic bassy tone.. a recto with the dials at noon pretty much nails his tone with a les paul.

Now that I think about it, I do think that's what it is. There's too much tightness and not enough of that crunchy low bass sound. So a Dual Rectifier would nail Jambi tone?

Kiss My Axe said:
Platypus said:

Now that I think about it, I do think that's what it is. There's too much tightness and not enough of that crunchy low bass sound. So a Dual Rectifier would nail Jambi tone?

yep, easily.

Shep said:
i have always seen Adams jones tone as tight with bass.. mk IV on pentode does it Great..

It depends on which album you look at. On 10,000 Days his tone got more colorful sounding. Right now with my Mark III it's a little too plain to get that sound. If you listen to Jambi or Rosetta Stoned, there's definitely some bass sag going on there, or at least more so than with my Mark III, but I hear that the Mark IV isn't as tight as the Mark III.

That video with the Dual Rectifier is close, but something is still missing. :? **** you Adam Jones!

Kiss My Axe said:
Shep said:
i have always seen Adams jones tone as tight with bass.. mk IV on pentode does it Great..

It depends on which album you look at. On 10,000 Days his tone got more colorful sounding. Right now with my Mark III it's a little too plain to get that sound. If you listen to Jambi or Rosetta Stoned, there's definitely some bass sag going on there, or at least more so than with my Mark III, but I hear that the Mark IV isn't as tight as the Mark III.

That video with the Dual Rectifier is close, but something is still missing. :? **** you Adam Jones!

it really depends how you set the mk IV.. I can make it out like a single recto on the 50 watt setting on tween.. sounds huge and fat.. but the tighter more toppy tones you go for the tighter settings..

As I mentioned in the thread I posted, he gets his signature tone from his mid-boosted EQ pedal going into the front of the amp: Marshall in the beginning, then Dual Recto, and now Diezel.

So try a middle frequency boosted EQ (/\ shaped) in the front of your amp with a moderate high-gain distortion tone.

Latest posts

Back