A day in life! (me, c+, and cabs)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony777

Reaction score
Hey!

Yesterday I went to a local music store to test the different mesa cabs they had, along with my 2C+.

I've been looking for new cabs forever almost, and now the money is getting closer.
So I brought my head, and a guitar, to check out the how they sound.
My band plays progressive metal, so that's the direction I'm going for.

The cabs they had, were the recto 2x12, recto traditional, and standard 4x12.

I must say that the difference between the marshall JCM 800 4x12, were huge. Even the 2x12 recto is way better than my marshall, which goes boo-ooo--oom in the bass. Not good for PM riffing.

After playing along with the three different cabs, the favorite was of course the BIGGEST one. The one that doesn't go into my car, so this is going to be expensive, new cab and new car.
The standard recto was much warmer in the low mid and have a tighter bass, than the traditional, which of course is great, but only second place.
The 2x12 is much more handy, because you don't need a crew. The drawback is that it isn't made for stereo connections, and I won't be able to use it with my triaxis/fifty fifty setup, unlees I modify it. I don't know the impedance of the single speakers, but I guess it's possible anyway.

The best part.
I asked to test the stilletto, the seller; which probably had never heard the 2C+ before, was terrified of how good my amp sounds, and told me there was no point in testing the stilletto.
The clearness and warmth of the C+ was unbeatable. So I won't buy the stilletto, but I'll definately got to get me new cabs.

Tony

I modded my 2x12 cab for stereo or mono operation for about $8. It's easy to do.

you say the standard was tighter? No disrespect, but maybe you got the names confused? The traditional size has always been regarded as "tighter" for riffing than the standard, which is oversized, and provides a boomier bass filling effect good for nu-metal.

the 2x12 is rated at 8 ohm output impedance. Logically reasoning gives two 16 ohm speakers in parallel or two 4ohm speaker in series. Because the speakers are celestion v30 alike (I say relabeled to mesa, some say not), which come not in 4 ohm impedance, I would go for the two 16 ohm speakers.

4ohm speaker is quite rare for guitar speakers, it is found in bass cabinets however.

Latest posts

Back