92rf 1F

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireonhigh

Reaction score
sending my 92 to mesa!! any mods you think can be done??its a rf 1f ,,,all i want is more gain and clarity,can it be done?

Mesa doesn't have a shop to mod amps; just repair/update or revise an amp's circuit. What you're going to have to do is probably talk to Trace at Voodoo amps to see what he can do for you.

Recto's might not be the amp for you. Have you spent time with any of the Mark series amps?

Greg

There are no existing mods for old dual recs....mostly because people believe they already sound great. That's not to say they can't be modded, but people just don't do it. People mostly mod Mark2's and Mark3's.

The Voodoo mods are mostly for 3channel dual rectifiers and are an attempt to get them to increase gain and clarity (which oddly enough, is what the characteristics are for a 2channel dual recto, such as a 1992 F).

In other words, if you don't like the sound of the amp too much, it's not really an amp for you. I wouldn't mod a 1992 Recto...it will kill the value and originality of the amp. Plus, since there are no real mods for it, whoever mods it may be doing a lot of guessing and mess things up.

Best mod for a '92 is new tubes. Try the TAD tubes. I think Petrucci uses them as well.

what i meant to ask was can they change a rev.f. to a rev.c?...if not its no big deal,all in all i realy love the amp,i'll never sell it :D ,,i just figured while its out there being worked on maybe they could do it,,thanks for all the replies

that they probably could do. they may not have the parts for it though. you should ask for Mike B. or George M.

I personally would ask them to change it to a Rev D, btw. :wink:

Elpelotero said:
that they probably could do. they may not have the parts for it though. you should ask for Mike B. or George M.

I personally would ask them to change it to a Rev D, btw. :wink:
yeah i called yesterday,he is on vacation untill july2nd...i couldnt remember georges name,,,i have a feeling that they will tell me its a entirely different board so no can do! why rev.d and not c?? would the d have a little better gain?

it's a little darker when set flat. I find C to have a bit of a "brightness bump" when set flat. If you have dark pickups, no problem. But my guitar is very bright on its own and the extra brightness is a little annoying, so I usually have to turn the presence down several notches so it sounds like my D would when flat.

Elpelotero said:
it's a little darker when set flat. I find C to have a bit of a "brightness bump" when set flat. If you have dark pickups, no problem. But my guitar is very bright on its own and the extra brightness is a little annoying, so I usually have to turn the presence down several notches so it sounds like my D would when flat.
oh cool, i have a couple bright guitars to but i run everything about flat to except the gains around 3clock :twisted: i love it!,i think if they can do it i'll go for the d.. i should know next week hopefuly,my amp is already on the way out there.wrapped in 250sq.feet of bubble wrap and triple boxed!i hope it survives,,,dude you should get a 92 or 93 f that way you got all the best duals!!! of course then you will have to get whatever the best stripe mk3 was and a mk4a,and b :D

Nope, Elpelotero is offically banned from any other amps since he has the MarkII C+ and two pre500 DR's.

Just kidding, actually it's not a bad idea. Something to think about El Pelotero.

lol. who? little old me? :wink: no more amps? ok.

NOTT!

BTW, if you like to put your controld flat and bump the gain to 3ocloclk, then you and I have the same settings. You will undoubtedly like either revision.

I set my f very close to flat and gain 3:00 as well.
Man...I really do LOVE my 93 1f... best amp (to me) I've ever heard.

I bet if you swapped some new pre's around you would get the clarity you seek. Mine is just friggin Holy Grail awesome.

OK i have owned both, and here is what i can tell you the difference between C and D are. When you have the presense on D set to 12 noon, it is the same as setting a C to 6 oclock (zero). I have the C still, if you ask me it has to much presense, i keep the presense at zero all the time. But if i was a soloing man, I would probaly set it higher, but i am more of a rythem with some soloing.

There are no existing mods for old dual recs....mostly because people believe they already sound great. That's not to say they can't be modded, but people just don't do it. People mostly mod Mark2's and Mark3's.

If I could interject for just a moment to make a quick correction for those who may be reading but not posting; We have been performing modifications on 2-channel Rectifiers since 1998.

The Voodoo mods are mostly for 3channel dual rectifiers and are an attempt to get them to increase gain and clarity (which oddly enough, is what the characteristics are for a 2channel dual recto, such as a 1992 F).

It's all personal preference, which is the cool part about music

Have a great 4th of July weekend
Trace

voodooamps said:

If I could interject for just a moment to make a quick correction for those who may be reading but not posting; We have been performing modifications on 2-channel Rectifiers since 1998.

It's all personal preference, which is the cool part about music

Have a great 4th of July weekend
Trace

forgot about those! Sorry Trace! What mods do you do to an old recto? it's hard to improve on something that's already great to begin with.

helll yeah i talked to the man, he told me all i really need to do is switch out the presence pots, he got into major details but it all flew over my head :oops: i know it will be killler! i think my 97triple will be going on a trip once i get the dual back :D

forgot about those! Sorry Trace!

No need to apologize my friend, I was just stating that for those who may not be familiar with us or read the forums but do not post.

What mods do you do to an old recto?

If you would like to check out the mods we offer they are listed on our website.
Link --> http://www.voodooamps.com/standardmods.html#Rectifier

it's hard to improve on something that's already great to begin with.

If you are satisfied/happy with the way your amp sounds then in all honesty there is little point in modding the circuitry (IE: most likely you may not be happy with our Standard or Deluxe Mod). If there are things you dislike we can discuss them and then give you an estimate for a custom mod so that it meets your specific needs.

Aside from the mods we also offer upgrades for the output and power transformers (over seas voltages also available).

Hope it helps
Trace

Latest posts

Back