6v6 in MKIV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barny

Reaction score
just wondering iff anybodys tried 6V6 tubes in the MkIV...im after a bit more of a vintage fatter sound ...any opinions on this will sound like is appreciated...or will i be better with el34 tubes in ...im sitting on the fence here ..dont know whether to change or not..
thanks in advance

I tried them almost 2 years ago, but went back to 6L6s after about a two month trial. They are certainly more vintage sounding, but I thought 6L6s meshed better with the voice of the Mark IV. I would encourage you to try them...you can always re-sell them on the board.

Btw, I also tried EL34s in the outside sockets, but I'm just a 6L6 kinda guy.

dodger916 said:
I tried them almost 2 years ago, but went back to 6L6s after about a two month trial. They are certainly more vintage sounding, but I thought 6L6s meshed better with the voice of the Mark IV. I would encourage you to try them...you can always re-sell them on the board.

thanks...:) was there much drop in volume..is it still loud enuff for a gig with bass and a loud drummer..?

barny said:
dodger916 said:

thanks...:) was there much drop in volume..is it still loud enuff for a gig with bass and a loud drummer..?
Even though the amp must be run in Tweed mode, I didn't find the volume drop an issue. I don't recall the exact numbers, but you're still running 4 tubes, so I'm guessing you're pushing at least 35-40 watts. This will effect your headroom more so than your volume, so if you need squeaky cleans, you might have a problem. You could also run a clean boost or boost the graphic eq levels to gain volume. Running more speakers will also create more sound. For me, volume has never been an issue with a Mark IV. :twisted:

Latest posts

Back