6L6 vs. 6v6 in a mark iv

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeppman

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and here is my first post :D

Has anyone tried the 6v6s in the mark iv? I played it stock for a while with mesa 6l6s, then I went to JJ 6l6/el34 and it was a big improvement, but maybe a little too much crunch for me. I tried the SED 6l6/el34 combo, and it was still better then the mesa stock, but not nearly as nice as the JJs. So I'm torn between going for all JJ 6l6s, or trying the 6v6s. Does anyone have any info for me, or can make a comparison? I play a fender amer strat, which will soon have custom wound pups from ocduff.com. Thanks guys.

For what its worth, I went with Eurotubes 6V6 recommendation for my dual rec and I am very pleased with the combination of high gain preamp tubes and 6V6's. Seems to have both a tighter and thicker sound now. I have not tried them in my Mark IV.

Mangley, thanks.

I've never really played a dual rec... could you explain how the 6l6s sounded, just for reference? Also, let me know if you decide to try them in your mark! Thanks

I did a full swap of preamp and power tubes so it is hard to say which had most influence. Overall I would say the buzzyness is reduced, the tone is thicker and the bass is tighter and more defined.

I'll let you know if I try them in the mark iv. I had not considered this because I already went with the high gain eurotubes kit for the mk iv. I replaced the preamp and power tubes with JJ's and liked them immediately. Opened up the tone considerably (fuller, more harmonics).

Tubes do seem to make a difference.

A quad of 6V6's is cheap enough to try. I read in the manual that there are too many caveats to using 6v6's in the mk iv which is why I did not try them there.

I have a set of JAN Phillips NOS small bottles 6L6's in my inner sockets of the Mark IV and I am just about to plug in a set of JJ E34L's in the outer sockets. I hope it sounds good!

Mangeley - do you think a set of 5 JJ preamp tubes (maybe the high gain ones) will make a nice difference to the sound? I am certainly considering it...

Brian ;)

I guess it depends on what you have in there now. I went with the high gain preamp tubes and I am am very pleased with the results.

That's what I had. I think you will notice an improvement with the JJ's

I can only comment on the previous Mesa's I own.... a TOV, Single Recto and a Dual Recto..

I went to ALL JJ 6L6's, and man, I get comments about my tone all the time (we played Friday, and the soundman just gushed over it).

Buuuuuuuuut.... Keep in mind, that everyone is different, and there are a LOT of factors to consider....

For example: I play high end gear: Paul Reed Smiths, George L cables, true bypass pedals; etc. These will all affect your tone, and something to not be overlooked.

But you are on the right path to tonal heaven!!!

Good luck brother!
Lance / MISSING MAN

Latest posts

Back