60 or 100 IIC?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger916

Reaction score
Ithaca, NY...10 sq miles surrounded by reality!
Hi All:

I have a line on a 60 watt IIC w/export tranny, reverb, GEQ, that I would upgrade to C+. My concern is it not having the Simul-class option, which I value in my Mark IV.

I've read that the pre-amp is really what distinguishes the C+, so would not having the Simul-class output detract from the classic C+ tone?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

the 60w C+'s have a much more raw, cutting, and in your face tone. It's like someone punching you in the face. An overgeneralization would be that it's great for aggressive rhythm.

The Simul-Class has a lot of those properties, but it is much smoother and silky. It's very creamy. An overgeneralization would be that this is great for melodic lead playing.

I know it's hard to distinguish that without soundclips, but from the soundclips Ive heard in the past and all the reading I've done here, that's the best description.

It's a real judgement call on the tone, but having $ 2K plus wrapped up in an upgrade would be hard to swallow if you did not intend on Keeping it. It would probably be a break even, or a wash with time invested if you don't like it and flip it. GTS has a 60W SRG and may be able to assist with the amps tonality. Tony777 has one also and has both a Simul and a 60W to compare, but his are both exports ( ******* :D ).

dodger916 said:
Hi All:

I have a line on a 60 watt IIC w/export tranny, reverb, GEQ, that I would upgrade to C+. My concern is it not having the Simul-class option, which I value in my Mark IV.

I've read that the pre-amp is really what distinguishes the C+, so would not having the Simul-class output detract from the classic C+ tone?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

I did not mean to offend any of the Simulclass owners/lovers with my statement about "morons". My point was that if you have GAS for a C+, and find a 60 watt bare bones C+ in your local pawn shop for $400, BUY THAT *****! The options are just that, as I only use my onboard EQ for the lead channel and the reverb only in the clean channel. Both of these can be replaced by outboard effects, if so desired. The thing that concerns me is the "classic C+ tone". The guy that I bought my '85 head from said that his band played mostly "Metal". He said that his MkIII Coliseum could get these tones as well as the C+. If this is what you are wanting, it can be had in the III or your IV. :eek: FWIW, I wish my MkI had the "tweed" feature, it's a beast :lol: .

Thanks for the all the reponses. I don't play metal and I love my Mark IV for its voice, which I find articulate, powerful and versatile. My style of music focuses more on song construction (melody, lyrics, rhythm) than the force of the rig. For the most part I consider tone a spice rather than the main ingredient, but still a critical ingredient (no news there!). The voice of the Mark IV has opened new musical avenues for me as I'm discovering new musical themes just from noodling with my rig. So, all this talk about the legendary IIC+ tone has made me curious. If I convert this 60 watter to a C+ I'll have around $2k into it. If it's not for me, then some happy Board member may wind up with it!

As with most things Boogie, it seems its a matter of taste.

Thanks again.

Frank

dodger916 said:
Thanks for the all the reponses. I don't play metal and I love my Mark IV for its voice, which I find articulate, powerful and versatile. My style of music focuses more on song construction (melody, lyrics, rhythm) than the force of the rig. For the most part I consider tone a spice rather than the main ingredient, but still a critical ingredient (no news there!). The voice of the Mark IV has opened new musical avenues for me as I'm discovering new musical themes just from noodling with my rig. So, all this talk about the legendary IIC+ tone has made me curious. If I convert this 60 watter to a C+ I'll have around $2k into it. If it's not for me, then some happy Board member may wind up with it!

As with most things Boogie, it seems its a matter of taste.

Thanks again.

Frank

The IIC+ is deceptively versatile although not always at the same time. It can be tweaked to cover many facets of tone. Lowering the Volume 1 or Lead drive, trying the pull shift and pull deep functions will leave you tweaking for hours. Set up your clean channel and smack it with an overdrive or boost pedal. It's like having a three channel amp. You will hear it's DNA in the MK IV, but I can easily attest that it will have thicker cleans and a different attack. I wont specifically make judgements as all of my Boogie's are Simul's, but if there is any Boogie amp to buy just to have it, it's a IIC+. From there, it's all you.

I would not be afraid to offer less money. Before the upgrade boom, these things were selling for half of his asking price or lower. It's always better to have $ 1600 tied up than $ 2000. That way you have the discretionary income left over to buy gifts...

I apologize if this reply hijacks the post, but it seemed a somewhat related topic since the sense I get from reading this is if you find a reasonably priced C that can be converted do it because>>>>>>>>>. On a local craigslist I keep seeing this mark II b 60/100 for under $500 (sadly without the EV it has been replaced with a fender speaker Yikes). The PT does look huge and after reading this post I'm wondering if it might be possible to encourage this castaway to join the tone club. Does Mesa still do the IIB to C+ upgrade? If so is there any worth to this beast?

Here is the listing

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/476286653.html

Thanks

carlosasi said:
I apologize if this reply hijacks the post, but it seemed a somewhat related topic since the sense I get from reading this is if you find a reasonably priced C that can be converted do it because>>>>>>>>>. On a local craigslist I keep seeing this mark II b 60/100 for under $500 (sadly without the EV it has been replaced with a fender speaker Yikes). The PT does look huge and after reading this post I'm wondering if it might be possible to encourage this castaway to join the tone club. Does Mesa still do the IIB to C+ upgrade? If so is there any worth to this beast?

Here is the listing

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/msg/476286653.html

Thanks

No, Mesa does not offer IIB to C+ upgrades and has not for close to two decades.

gts said:
$1600 IMHO may be too much for a 60 w IIC .

If it were a 60/100 then maybe but a 60w C+ usually go for about $1200.

Since you are talking about a C I'd offer $1000 (if it's a combo with an EV in it). Although if he wants $1600 he may be insulted and not want to ever hear from you again.

If you don't get this one Keep looking they pop up on ebay and other places (like here) from time to time. Be patient.

+1
that's pretty expensive for a 60w 2C

Latest posts

Back