5150-6505

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howitzer

Reaction score
I have seen the old thread - I wanted some new information/opinons. Who likes these amps and why and who hates them and why?

Thanks!

I own 2 5150's and they are great for rock/metal but are not very versatile if you need pristine clean and heavy distortion. The amp can be fuzzy if you dime the gain but I rarely go past 12:00 on the pre gain. Atreyu uses a 5150 2 and a lot of the metal bands use them for tight riffs. They used to be cheap (400 used) but now they are about double that used and about 5-600 for ones that are beat up.

There is no difference between the 5150 and 6505 as far as design and electronics are concerned. (incase there is any confusion)

I like the tone of these amps because they are very raw and mean sounding. I am not sure how else to describe it.

RR said:
5150-6505
?
867-5309

"Eight Six Seven Five Three Oh Nine, Jenny Jenny"

The 5150 is the model number given to the amp Peavey desigined in conjunction with Eddie Van Halen. Since his departure from his endorsement agreement, they have changed the model number to 6505 to celebrate the 40 year anniversary of Peavey, from 1965 to 2005. They are praised by shredders and metal rhythm guitarists alike. I prefer them as an alternative to the Recto high-gain sound. The "raw, mean sound" as described above would complement a Mark series amp's smooth liquid lead sound quite well.

Sorry, I was just being a smart ***. :D

But I did not know that EVH departed from Peavey. Thanks for the info :wink:

So have any inside what is EVH's next amp endorsement would be?

Next endorsement? Looks like fender!!!

evidence you say?

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=175611

I like the idea of the two sounds combining - I love the recto, but the Bass is not tight enough for what im doing - Even with my Keeley TS9.

How tight is the bass on the 6505? I would also like to scoop the mids on the 6505, since im pushing them on the mkIV - does it do scooped rythm sounds well?

Cleans? I hear a lot of stuff about the cleans. I am assuming its not even trying to go for a fender clean, and that it might be a pretty fat sounding with the MkIV's rhy2 on midgain, or with both amps completely clean?

Thanks for all the responses guys! I dont like how the Uberschall sounds live, and Im thinking the 6505 looks like a good deal, since i can trade my recto in, and get a discount at guitar center, now that they deal with them.

Howitzer said:
Next endorsement? Looks like fender!!!

evidence you say?

http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=175611

I like the idea of the two sounds combining - I love the recto, but the Bass is not tight enough for what im doing - Even with my Keeley TS9.

How tight is the bass on the 6505? I would also like to scoop the mids on the 6505, since im pushing them on the mkIV - does it do scooped rythm sounds well?

Cleans? I hear a lot of stuff about the cleans. I am assuming its not even trying to go for a fender clean, and that it might be a pretty fat sounding with the MkIV's rhy2 on midgain, or with both amps completely clean?

Thanks for all the responses guys! I dont like how the Uberschall sounds live, and Im thinking the 6505 looks like a good deal, since i can trade my recto in, and get a discount at guitar center, now that they deal with them.

Charvel...fender...same thing.

Fender has NEVER put out a good high gain amp. So its still surprising he went to them for the amp. Of course that is all speculation, but the guy who was at the party said it looked like one.'

Still need opinions!

Howitzer said:
Fender has NEVER put out a good high gain amp. So its still surprising he went to them for the amp. Of course that is all speculation, but the guy who was at the party said it looked like one.'

Still need opinions!

The Tone Master was not bad.

Howitzer said:

Still need opinions!

I hear the Prosonic was pretty good, and fairly high gain.

Howitzer said:
I have seen the old thread - I wanted some new information/opinons. Who likes these amps and why and who hates them and why?

Thanks!

5150 fan here. When I was in high school (early 90s) a friend of mine had one. I always loved the lead channel tones of it. So when I finally had the means to get a decent half stack I went with a 5150II for the added EQ per channel and footswitchable crunch. Sold it when I got away from high gain amps for a while, but came back a few years later. The one I have now is modified by JerryP of FJA mods. The stock cleans on the 5150II are a little better than the original, mainly because you can EQ that channel on its own. It still isn't very good though so I had Jerry mod the clean channel and mod the lead back to original specs. The IIs lead ch is a little brighter sounding with less low end stock so I wanted to get it more like the original.
It is definitely a mean sounding amp. It has a very tight and punchy low end and an aggressive grind to it. There is a ton of gain so yes, it can get buzzy. I never go above 6 on my gain and usually hang around 4 or 5. Great full crunch in that area. Not too bright or harsh on the top end.
It really is my go to amp. I have a 3ch DR that I have had a love/hate relationship with. When I get real frustrated with it I go to the 5150.
The DR has more versatility which is the only reason I keep trying to make it work and keep trying different EQ, tube and setting options to dial it in just right. The DR is actually at FJA right now getting some tweaks and a new MMOT.
Anyway...thumbs up for the 5150s. Original or II or the new 6505 series.
If you have specific questions hit me up and I will try to answer them.

Pete

Latest posts

Back