.50 calibur

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
southernman said:
I found a 1994 .50 Calibur Mesa for 475. Is that a good deal? What do these amps sound like?

1994 is about the last year or so these were made. $475 sounds like an average price for a typical non-mint/non-trashed .50 cal +. I love mine, and don't see a better all-tube for the money these days.

This topic will get more hits if placed in the Vintage Amp (before 1991) forum, because they were introduced in the 1980's.

A search of the forum will give you a reason to sit in front of the PC for a bit:

http://forum.grailtone.com/search.php?mode=results

Soundwise, they can be heavy sounding (as much as 50 Watts could be), and have plenty of gain, although not the as dry (mid-scooped) as a Recto. I had to change out the tubes in mine, but this should be part of the possible budget with ANY used tube amp.

well, i think that you should play it first and consider what sort of music you are going to play. It is not really a two channel amp for my concerns - so i settle in on a basic tone setting and use guitar controls to massage it to my needs.

that being said, i will NEVER get rid of my combo. NEVER. i paid around 475-500 plus shipping without the footswitch. everything works great.

i can get jazz, country, classic rock (my preferences) out of this amp. i don't try the down tune metal stuff - so i don't know.

and i have a 1x12 extension for really killing those Marshalls and Fenders others bring along. HA ! enjoy.

Latest posts

Back