.50 cal plus users ... give me some info please.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvschulz

Reaction score
I have "graduated" from a Fender Ultimate Chorus to this amp. I play 3 differnt guitars - LP deluxe, Strat SSS, and ES-335. I got used to the clean/gain switching of the Fender - 2 kind of separate channels. Nice Chorus for the Jazzy stuff. Pretty clean.

I am trying different setting with the Mesa - got the factory pre-sets sheet and tested them all. However, I am confused about the relationship between the Gain/Master/Lead Master. I would really like to be able to footswtich between a somewhat clean setting to a breakup setting.

Any ideas about settings or experiences with this is most welcome.

Also, where is the best place to attach effects - i have a Morley crybaby and Boss SD-1. Order preference ? wire to effects send/return ??

Would you go mostly clean and use the SD-1 for breakup ?

Settings you use with one of these style guitars would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

I'm familiar with this amp but I don't own one. I have a Studio .22 which behaves similar.

The "gain" is the preamp gain control for both 'clean' and 'lead' channel. (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong)
This is the typical MESA's cascading gain controls.

The 'Master' is the overall Master of both channels.
The "Lead Master' only governs the lead channel. Think as though its your loudness of the lead channel. Its independent of your clean channel.

You don't really have that much independent control in the gain setting of each channel. Once set, gain control, you only have the Master and Master lead to control your volume. You can't control the lead channel's distortion without effecting the clean channel's gain.

If you want more distortion on the lead channel, you will introduce little to some distortion in the clean channel.

Otherwise, they're fairly a straight forward amp, and you don't have to juggle controls and get lost like its sibling Mark II, III, IV.

okay, so if i want two different tones out of the amp, i can't do too much with simply switching channels from clean to gain, if i understand you correctly.

i can get tone on the clean channel, then try to "switch" to lead and get some different tone, or just set it on the lead channel and leave it be, right ?? so, do you get 2 tones out of your amp and channel switch during a song ? if so, what settings do you use ?

thanks for the info.

Roger

I used to have on of these amps. You should definitely be able to get both useful clean and dirty sounds by switching between channels. I would start with the gain at about 6. This will give you minimal break up in the clean channel, and should give you plenty of crunch in the lead settings. With the strat you can probably get to 6.5 or 7 on the gain and still have a useable clean sound.

As previously stated, the lead master only dictates your overall VOLUME on the lead channel.

If you can't get decent tone out of the unit, think about putting in new tubes. These are good amps - not incredibly versatule, but definitely good enough to do the 2 channel thing very well.

Should also point out that you don't want to max out any of your tone controls - the amp won't respond well to that. Especially the treble. STart with everything on 5 and dial in or out to taste.

Also, if you have the graphic eq, it can dramatically alter what's coming out of the amp. I would only use it on the lead channel - it got too muddy in the clean channel.

Good luck.

Back