5:25 owner,thinking 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom M

Reaction score
My title says it all, For just about 70 dollars I can get the 5:50 1x12. I love my 5:25 but I read somewhere that the 6l6 tubes sound alot richer than the el84's. I am new to this amp and to tubes amps in general. What do you guys think I should do, I love to play blues and classic rock but I also like to turn on the burn channel and play real heavy riffage as well. I tried listening to the difference of the tubes in the store but it was hard to hear with all the kids blasting metalica solo's on 8.

I would never really need 50 watts but I have been reading here that would just give me more clean headroom, am I correct on this or just misguided as hell, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

One more thing I notice I get some real weird noises when I kick on bluesdriver, I just removed it from in front of amp but I was curious as to why it sounded like the sound was fading or crumbling away when it was engaged. Thanks again

I have a 5:50 1 x 12 combo. I played the 5:25 1 x 10 combo when I bought it and liked the 5:50 a more. However, I think that had a lot to do with the 5:50's 12" speaker.

I also tried a Lonestar Special which sounded incredible. The EL84s did not hurt it's performance in any way. In fact, I think they enhanced it.

I just played a BBQ with the 5:50 today and had no issues with headroom. I think a 5:25 would've been fine as well.

I own the 5:50 and I bought it because it is 50 watts and it has a 12" speaker. To make sound you have to move air. A 10" speaker will hit its limit before a 12" will. I have played in many different gig situations with my 5:50 and it was impossible to bury this amp in the mix. As a matter of fact it sounded better the louder it got. You said you may never have a use for the 50 watts but I can say that if you ever needed it, it would be there. I love this amp. The 5 watt setting is perfect for living room jams, and it has its own awesome character. This amp leans more towards a jacked up Fender Twin sound. I don't know if you would want to shred on it without using a pedal with it. But that is a matter of taste. For blues and rock I think it is primo.

As far as your blues driver is concerned, you may be pushing the pedal-amp combo too hard. Try setting the amp on clean with the drive at about 10 o'clock and then set the B Driver low also and slowly increase the two to see if you hit a spot where it starts to break apart. If it still breaks apart on low setting then you might need to examine the jacks on your pedal. They might need to be replaced or sprayed with contact cleaner. Also make sure you are using quality chords.

Tom M said:
My title says it all, For just about 70 dollars I can get the 5:50 1x12

If your curious about a 5:50 and it's only going to cost $70, why not get it? I don't see the issue, unless I'm missing something.

After 4 months with a 5:25 1x12, I did consider a move up to a 5:50. The only reason really is because I figured the 5:25 to be the baby of the range and thought I might move up in quality and tone etc. Well, I can tell you that after an hour of playing a 5:50 and 5:25 back to back at my local music shop I had no need to get the credit card out.

The 5:25 is a jewel in the Mesa range, and rightfully has it's place.

I played all my favourite songs through each and thought, "it doesn't sound better, just a little different".

The biggest surprise was that I thought I would prefer the burn channel on the 5:50 because of the 6L6's. I was wrong, it could not get anywhere near the EL84's for warmth and smoothness. I used an 08' American Standard Strat by the way, which is what I play normally.

If your curious and it's only going to cost $70, go for it.

I guess I didn't say I have the 5:25 with a 12"speaker. I was curious if the 6l6tubes are better than el84's. I am curious if there is much difference is sound between these 2 amps with the same speaker. Thanks

Tom M said:
I guess I didn't say I have the 5:25 with a 12"speaker. I was curious if the 6l6tubes are better than el84's. I am curious if there is much difference is sound between these 2 amps with the same speaker. Thanks

Tom - EL84's sound different to 6L6's. Some people prefer one or the other. Just personal taste is all.

Because of this the 5:25 and 5:50 1x12's are not directly comparable on tone at 5 watts.
The differences will become apparent the louder you push the clean channels.
5:50 has more heardoom so the 5:25 will break up earlier.

The 5:25 definitely has more amp hum though. Most EL84 amps do.

The amps have different speakers too. There's a Black Shadow in the 5:50.
The 5:25 has a Vintage 30.

As for amp hum, it's only noticeable on channel 2 with mine. The clean,crunch channel is quite as a mouse at max volume.

The difference between both amp is not only the power tube, but also that the 5:25 is having a special «Dyna-Watt» wiring around the EL84. That gives another feel when you start to push the el84.

I bought the 5:50, very happy no regrets bringing the other one back. I brought it into the store and did side by side comparisons, The 50 has a bigger sound maybe because of the bigger cab,idk my other 25 also had a 12 inch speaker. I also like the tone of the 6l6 valves better for some reason,espcially on the clean channel, they just seem more bubbly and bassy. awesome amp ,, my quest is over,partly cause I'm outta money,hehe, between tele and amp it ran a few. Thanks for replies

Back