4x12 Open/Closed Back Mid-80's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1dg618

Reaction score
How does this "older" amp measure up to a new(er) Mesa 4x12 with Celestion speakers? http://davesguitar.com/products/mesa-boogie/openclosed-back-4-12-cab-mid-80s. Is the amp worth it? Would the speakers be kind-of worn out?

I have a Road Ready Mesa/Boogie cabinet with EV speakers and love it. They're heavy, not unlike a safe, but sound awesome. If I lived nearby, I'd be over there picking it up this morning. The speakers in that cabinet should be better than new, not as stiff as new, nice. I have Celestions in another cabinet, I rarely use it. Some folks enjoy Celestions on top, EV's on the bottom, I do not.

My Mesa cabinet is a 4x12 4FB. Is my cabinet an oversized cabinet? The speakers in that mid 80's cabinet look huge. Are the V30s in my 4x12 10" speakers? Maybe it's a visual thing?

Can someone help me out and take a look at this Mesa http://davesguitar.com/products/mesa-boogie/openclosed-back-4-12-cab-mid-80s/ and tell me if the upper left speaker looks like a repair and if the lower right looks like it has a ding on the upper left edge of the speaker? If the speaker has been repaired do you think it matters a little or a lot the same with the lower right speaker? I'd like to get the cab but I don't know? Are the speakers worn out and faded or it doesn't matter?

I picked up the mid 80's 4-12 loaded with EVM-12L speakers. It's a smaller cab compared to my newer Mesa 4-12, but it is heavy! I'd say it's between 120 and 130 pounds leaning towards 130 pounds. The cab is from the mid 80's but the sound is amazing! I honestly didn't think it would sound good. I thought it would sound average or a little below average. I was wrong. It sounds awesome. My 5150 amp through the cab sounded awesome. My Marshall JMP through it sounded very 70's. The cabinet can handle the volume. It sounds better as you turn up the volume. I'm happy with it. If I found another one with EVMs or a combination of EVMs and ? then I'd buy it. I'd buy a 2-12 too with EVMs. I'll let you know my opinion in about a month. I went from a heavy 4-12 to a heavier 4-12.

Latest posts

Back