4ohms vs 8ohms

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Tone

Reaction score
I'm looking for a cabinet for my lonestar head and am a little confused regarding ohms. Is there a difference in sound, power handling, etc... between an 8ohm and 4ohm cabinet? The amp has two 4ohm outputs and one 8ohm output, so I'm not sure if its best to get an 8ohm or 4 ohm head or if it makes a difference. Does it depend on which mode is being used (50w vs 100w) at all?

8 ohms is the standard. The 4 ohm jacks are for two 8 ohm cabs. Which cuts the resistance of the current in half. Mesa heads are made to handle that double, current sucking cab set up. So don't bother with a 4 ohm cab. Totally unrelated for that purpose, you can plug your 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm jack and get a slightly different flavor. Mesa recommends that on the 50w setting to get the best tone.

the Lonestar has a dual load transformer that will auto-adjust to the load. So there should be no issue with harming the amp should you change loads as long as you stay within the acceptable mismatch examples that Mesa included in the owners manual. And per Plan-x's response you can change the load, with Mesa's design providing that option, do tweak and experiment with your tone.

Latest posts

Back