3ch Dual Rectifier. Useless fx loop?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dualrec26

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing a 3ch dual rectifier and from what I have heard, the fx loop is horrible. I have heard that it sucks tone. Something about not being a series fx loop? I love this amp, and I love the variety of sounds I can get. I also use effects like delay and reverb, so I need the fx loop to be usable.

If their is a flaw in the fx loop, can it be fixed? If so, how much would it cost? And where could I get it fixed?

Like I said... I love this amp but this may be a deal breaker for me.

The FX loop in this amp is typically a Paralell loop. I have found that running effects through it doesn't suck out any tone, it's just that some effects aren't compatible with it. When I first got mine, I had several multi-effects racks that were totally unuseable with this amp. Generally, stomp boxes work well. But, before you buy any multi effects system I would email Mesa Boogie directly and ask them if they are compatible with the Triple Rec. I did this when I got mine and they were very helpful. Additionally, you can modify the loop to a serial one.

Well thats good to know because I will most likely only be using stomp boxes like a dd-2. It's a relief because I thought I was gonna have to resort with going with a peavey 6505+. :shock:

The problem you hear about the FX loop is simply people not knowing how to use it, or using the wrong type of effects in it. Effects that digitize the entire signal and not just the effected portion are mostly to blame.

I've had no issues at all with the loop in any of the Rectos I've owned. I typically keep my mix and send levels maxed and adjust the effect's volume to match.

mikey383 said:
The problem you hear about the FX loop is simply people not knowing how to use it, or using the wrong type of effects in it. Effects that digitize the entire signal and not just the effected portion are mostly to blame.

I've had no issues at all with the loop in any of the Rectos I've owned. I typically keep my mix and send levels maxed and adjust the effect's volume to match.

EXACTLY!!! People don't know how to use em'!!! I was VERY frustrated with mine for awhile, but after talking to multiple people that's had them, I found "my sweet spot"!! It took alot of trial an error! For better results, try setting send, and return to 12:00. Adjust from there, use your F/X switch on/off to help with levels. Just learn the order you need to run them in, and happy trails my friend!!!!

You'll fall in love with it all over again, I know I did!!!

mikey383 is exactly right. The good news is that the DD2 does not digitize the dry part of the signal - in fact, it does not digitize anything except the delay repeat itself, even the feedback loop and effect level controls are analog. It's basically an analog delay with a digital delay line only. All the early Boss digitals are like this, I use a DD2 and a PS2 Pitch-Shifter/Delay in the loop of my Tremoverb - which is not modded to series - and they're fine.

What about the 2ch Dual rec? I have heard bad things about their fx loops. Im starting to look in to a 2ch, probably a rev g because i have heard they're a lot better than the 3ch. I have also seriously been considering a rackmount dual rectifier but they're extremely rare and I think they have parallel fx loops as well.

The Tremoverb has the same loop as the rev.G 2-channel Rectifier. I don't have any problems with it at all, with the analog and simple digital pedals I use. I *have* certainly had problems with other Mesa amps and other digital pedals - particularly the Line6 DL4 I had, which caused me to modify a couple of amps so it would work properly. But eventually I ditched the pedal because it was just such a piece of junk in other ways and went back to my old Boss delays, and now I don't need to modify the amp.

I would take a bet that Mike77's Ibanez delay has an analog dry path too.

dualrec26 said:
What about the 2ch Dual rec? I have heard bad things about their fx loops. Im starting to look in to a 2ch, probably a rev g because i have heard they're a lot better than the 3ch. I have also seriously been considering a rackmount dual rectifier but they're extremely rare and I think they have parallel fx loops as well.

Take this with a grain of salt, if you will, but you might want to wait until after NAMM before you purchase a recto.

dualrec26 said:
^^ And why do you say that? Is there something worth waiting for?

What I've heard is all hearsay and rumor. Changing 3Ch voicings to be a lot more like 2Ch and updating raw mode/cleans.

This may all be totally incorrect, but it can't hurt to hold out another two and a half weeks.

Hi, I bought a 3ch dual rec back in februari and i use a boss gt8.. (and i use an amp gizmo to change my channels with midi)
When i use the gt8 in the front : it sucks tone , But i can ise my effects in a proper way
when i use the gt8 in the fx loop in the back : it also sucks tone (but with my gt8 i can bypass my gt8 thanks to the amp gizmo) , but when i select an effect, you can hardly hear it...
what is the problem?

Latest posts

Back