2 Amps 1 Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRANK

Reaction score
I have two amps and only one cab. Would I beable to have both amps turned on and use like an A/B switch to swap betwen both amps. I don't think this would work because where would the load be for the inactive amp. I am open to any suggestions.

I've never used this, but have seen it recommended a lot:

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

Chris... 8)

You can't use a morley A/B/Y pedal for this. Can you run your cab stereo? (assuming it is a 2x12 or 4x12) That way you can have both at the same time. You'll need two inputs in the cab each running a single speaker(2x12) or a pair(4x12). That is the only way.

stash49 said:
You can't use a morley A/B/Y pedal for this. Can you run your cab stereo? (assuming it is a 2x12 or 4x12) That way you can have both at the same time. You'll need two inputs in the cab each running a single speaker(2x12) or a pair(4x12). That is the only way.

I have a Marshall 2X12 which can run stereo. I'm not sure what that would do though. Would I then use the ABY to send guitar to the amp of choice? Thanks for the quick replies.

one amp runs to one side of the cab, and the other amp to the other side. the only thing you A/B/Y is the input signal going to the amps

Rayder said:
one amp runs to one side of the cab, and the other amp to the other side. the only thing you A/B/Y is the input signal going to the amps

Sorry but this is all new to me. So its not like both amps will be running at the same time right?

Though running two amps into the same head seems attractive I read somewhere that the two outputs will be fighting each others impedance and the weaker of the two will suffer. Just a thought...

KRANK said:
I have two amps and only one cab. Would I beable to have both amps turned on and use like an A/B switch to swap betwen both amps. I don't think this would work because where would the load be for the inactive amp. I am open to any suggestions.

You want the headbone by radial engineering . I use it between my RK and Stiletto with a 4X12 cab. Nice unit . Look for www.tonebone.com and then checkout headbone .

This may be overkill for what you want, but some other people may find it useful, it's the sound sculpture Headtrip.

http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/headtrip.htm

Ken has really great customer support and makes amazing products. If you are running a rig via midi, this can be controlled that way. If you are going for only stomp box then it wouldn't make much sense. It does a lot more than just switch heads, so check it out, it may do other things you happen to need.

BTW, off topic: Barry, you have my dream rig! I currently have a dual recto, but would love a RKII and a stiletto!!

edit: also, while it's discontinued, if you find a used Axess-Electronics HS-2 it would also do what you need to do. If you have a problem Mario also has good customer service so if it needed repair that could be done.

The guy from Loanstar uses a Bradshaw amp selector-about $800, I think.

KRANK-DOG, what are your 2 amps ? are you running 1 for cleans and 1 for dirty ? i only ask, cause if 1 of the amps is good for cleans and dirtys, you could slave the other. loop out of main amp into effect return of the other, then both into the cab. someone here recomended that(guitarzan) and it is way freakin' cool. give 'er a whirl :D

Years ago when we were starting to play, we did input two amps into one cab and both amps died. Definetly don't do it.

Latest posts

Back