2:95???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottcrud

Reaction score
Tell me about the 2:95 pwr amp. Does it sound as good as the 2:90? The reason I like the 2:90 is the modern and deep modes. I suppose the 2:95 doesn't have those options...Found on with a 6 space rack for $600, pretty sure I could talk him down.

I was about to comment on this based my experience with my Simul 395, which is a monster power amp, but after looking at the 295's manual I see that it uses EL34s and 6L6s like the Mark III's power section, rather than all 6L6s like my 395. So my experience probably wouldn't apply. However, I did think this was a funny line from the manual:

"The EL-34's are wired in a "Class A Triode" circuit for optimal warmth of tone, and at lower output levels (about 30 watts per channel). The Class A mode is ideal for recording, rehearsing, or any situation where you need great tone at low volumes."

I use the "Class A" mode on my 395 for the lead channel on my Studio Pre, and it is really really LOUD. Even at 1/2 power it's still crazy loud. It still sounds good at low volumes, but it's not what I'd call a rehearsal setting.

I own the older 395 which is basically a 295 with the ability to have two types of output settings. They are the warmest and most dynamic MESA power amps IMO. The newer ones just don't have the "oomph" and "livelyness" of the older ones. But, then again I play more clean and fusiony music than I used too. FWIW, the 395 does have a deep setting that I never use because it really adds a lot of low end. For home practice, I usually use the class A setting only and I use Mesa 5881's in the class A sockets. Interestingly, you cannot use EL34's in this amp. $600.00 seems a little high. I would only pay that much if it had fresh tubes. Either way, it is a solid power amp that is excellent of complimenting the sound of the MESA's you already have... 8)

I personally feel any of the 2-95 power amps is a better sounding amp compared to the 2-90. I say that because the 2-95 has a lot of the roundness of the 2-90 but has better attack and more transparency.

I never liked the deep mode on the 2-90. It is primarily meant to fatten up single coil guitars. In my old rack, all deep did was make my guitar sound boomy instead of tight plus the deep mode adds a lot of noise.

However, the amp is for you so if the deep mode sound does it for you, I can at least say that the 2-95 wont really give you that sound. I don't recall the 2-95 having a resonance control but if it does, that would be a big plus in your case

Latest posts

Back