2:100 blew a tube kaboom!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric B

Reaction score
So, I'm playing my rectifier recording pre through the 2:100 to a 4x12 recto cab at moderate levels. I turn it up pretty loud and do a couple riffs and hear a tink and I lose half my volume and it sounds muffled, then tink tink and out it goes with a puff of smoke and that lovely electrical fry smell fills the house. :roll: This all in a 4 second event from the time I turned it up.
The 6L6 430 blew and the tube glass cracked almost perfectly all the way around. You could pull 5/8ths of the (now frosted) glass right off. The fuse also blew of course.
So I looked for a 6 1/4 fuse for a couple of hours and had to settle for a 6a. I also substututed a 6L6 420 tube out of my strategy 400 to see if the 2:100 would fire up (ooh, bad choice of words) would work properly. I let it stay in standby for 30 minutes watching the tubes with no problem and as soon as I took it off standby it kicked off with a crackling sound but no smell.
I haven't checked anything after it went out because it's bed time and I don't want to feel worse than I already do.
What do you think has happened? :cry:
This whole rig has less than 30 hours on it and about 18-24 months old

You may have blown a screen resistor.

Just a guess. I am having similar problems with my 2:100, but no blown tube. I am merely experiencing a volume loss on the "bad" side.

At least you have the Strategy as a backup. Hope you get that worked out.

Back