1x12 mini recto cab or thiele

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathanccwong

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I was wondering about which cab to get next.
I have a IIC+ combo currently with a 12L in it. and I also own a 1x12 wide body closed back C90 cab.

I wanted to get a cab so eventually when i covert the IIC+ to a head I can use it.
What are your opinions on the closed back thiele vs the Mini-recto cab?

Would you recommend one over the other?

Could I also swap the 12L into the mini recto slant? (not sure if it is ported or not)

Thanks

I've found the thiele to be too focused with my C+ SRG. I'm now either going to make an half back cabinet or buy one if one comes up in my area. Thieles sound great but can be very narrow as far as where the sound hits, I have a pair which helps to spread things out a little. I'm thinking an open back cabinet with an EV speaker is what I;m looking for. I play small clubs, larger clubs you'd probably benefit more with a thiele.

From a speaker tone point of view, I'd go for a recto cab so you can get some Vintage30 action in your mix, since you already have an EV and an MC90. However, from what I've heard, the Thiele with your combo 12L should be C+ heaven.

Elpelotero said:
from what I've heard, the Thiele with your combo 12L should be C+ heaven.

^^^ Nothing beats a combo (or an open back cab if your amps in head shell format) with a MS 12 and a thiele with an EVM12L. The combination of those two is heaven on earth with a C+ IMHO. Some like a MC 90 in the open back along with the 12L in the thiele but to my ears the MS 12 up top takes it. I agree with Markedman I don't care for the thiele with the 12L by its self.

I got an EV loaded Thiele last week – not necessarily my first choice but I needed a cab pronto and that's what was out there. I've been really surprised by how much I like it. It seems to focus the clean sound really nicely. I haven't had a chance to crank it yet, but the extra low end you get versus the open back is very pleasing.

If it's going to be your only cab, though, I think it's pretty telling that 90% of conversation about the Thiele resolves to 'it sounds awesome if you pair it with an open back cab or a combo'.

(That said, I'm pretty happy with mine on its own.)

I have a thiele and an open back. I don't like the thiele on its own but it sounds good when mixed with the open back.

However, IMO the best 1x12 Mesa makes is the ElectraDyne/Royal Atlantic 27" 1x12. The smaller Compact and Widebody series cabs tend to choke off the bottom end, which makes them a bit congested in the midrange. The larger 27" 1x12 opens things up and produces a broader, more natural sound.

I don't know if this factors into your calculations, but I've done a bunch of recording with an EVM-12L Thiele. Couple things about it:

1. It also sounds great as a bass cab. Plenty of low end, but punchier in the mids than the 15s I use (which are TL606 instead of TL806, so basically a scaled-up version of the same cab).

2. Mic placement is incredibly finicky compared to every other guitar cab I've used. I'm guessing this is because of the port? Tiny changes in position make a huge difference, and I've always ended up with the mic in some oddball place.

I had a couple over the decades and ended up selling both. They are very "beamy" and I really don't need extreme bottom end as I play Bob Marley/Santana kind of music. They ended up being heavy speaker stands for my open backed EVM 1x12 cabs.

One thing though, I bought a Brown Tone Head and matching cabinet about a year or so ago. I didn't think it was an improvement over my Mark IIC+ so I sold it. However it came with a Warehouse 12-65 speaker. My Boogie sounded very good through it. That will be the next experiment for me.

Thanks for the info everyone,
I do agree with screamingdaisy that the wide body sound kinda congested. but i always thought the problem as the MC90.

Though I wanna try the mini recto slant,
I am closing on a deal for a unloaded wide 1x12 though.

So if that works out i'd have two 1x12 wide close backs

so If i were to run two cabs only (no combo, cuz my back really can't take it anymore...)
what configuration would you guys recommend?

MC90 + 12L
MC90 + M12
12L + M12

jonathanccwong said:
Thanks for the info everyone,
I do agree with screamingdaisy that the wide body sound kinda congested. but i always thought the problem as the MC90

It's not the speaker. I've rotated a few different models through the cabs with similar results. I think the issue is the size of the speaker baffle; a 23" wide cab doesn't have as much flex as a 27" wide cab, so less bass response.

The cool thing is that running two cabs opens the sound up. I run an open back on top of a front ported (both with G12M-25s) and the sound is good... Although I do think the 27" 1x12 sounds better than the Widebody pair (at the end of the day it's just more naturally full sounding).

jonathanccwong said:
so If i were to run two cabs only (no combo, cuz my back really can't take it anymore...)
what configuration would you guys recommend?

MC90 + 12L
MC90 + M12
12L + M12
For two cabs with a C+:
1x12 open back with an MS-12
Thiele with an EV12L

Latest posts

Back