16 ohm cab into Stiletto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtbaker

Reaction score
Can you run a 16 ohm cab into a Stiletto where it only has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm slot? In the manual it says it's a safe mismatch, but I'm so retarded when it comes to this ****.

sgtbaker said:
Can you run a 16 ohm cab into a Stiletto where it only has a 4 ohm and 8 ohm slot? In the manual it says it's a safe mismatch, but I'm so retarded when it comes to this sh!t.

Ohm's law is a little forgiving but not much. You should match impedance with current power whenever possible. If you run it this way, it WILL work (I use to use safe mismatch scenarios myself) but you're not saturating the Output Transformer's current capabilities. It gives it too little resistance.
I would run it from head output 8 ohm --->cab in 16 ohm mono, not 4 ohm (too little resistance). You're going to get a slightly "darker" tone because of this effect.
Better yet, I would seriously look into getting an 8 ohm cab ! You're good tone is what you're after.

my $ .02

Well my cab only has a 16 ohm cone instead of the mono/stereo option. I love the sound of it, but I don't know what other cabs have 8 ohm Celestion GB's. :?

What I really want to do is take out two of the GB's and put in two V30's. I hear that sounds really good. I just don't want to damage the amp or cab because of impedance issues.

As long as the V30's are the same impedance as your GB's, all will be fine.
Running your 8 ohm out to your 16 ohm cab is fine. You're just not using the Output Transformer to its full potential. But it won't damage it. On the contrary, you're not getting full OT saturation (current) and ultimately you're cutting in to your own tone potential by doing this.
Maybe consider turning your mono cab into stereo with 16 ohm speakers if you're considering getting the V30's.

this may seem counter-intuitive but i use a 16Ω cab with all my ace and it sounds great. i prefer it to any of the 8 ohm cabs i've tried. now, it's important to mention that this is the only 2x12 with greenbacks i've heard the amp through, any other time it was through V30s. greenbacks definitely lean more towards what i like but i can't help wondering if the resistance has some effect on the tone as well. if i ever wire the cab for 8Ω i'll have a definitive conclusion.

You can always rewire your 16 ohm 4x12 cab to run 4 ohms and use the 4 ohm jack. :wink:

don t worry and go ahead. but never use less impedance on the speaker side than the output has required - unless you know how shortcut stable your system is.

16 ohm speaker fo 4 ohm output means you are just putting more load on it, the amp has to work harder and gets faster to the sweet spots.
of course some slight change in sound - but who cares if you like the sound ;-)

Latest posts

Back