12AT7 tubes in a Lonestar?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
I see some people are putting some lower gain 12AT7s in the Lonestars in some positions. Since it is not a "high" gain amp why would the 12AT& be desirable?
Or is it a tonal change? Thanks.

I have a 12AT7 in V5, and a 5751 in V2. The idea, as I understand it, is to the alter the gain structure through these stages, potentially smoothing out some edges here and there and making the power stage do more of the work.

The effect can be subtle, depending on how you have your amp set up. Theoretically a balanced 12AT7 in V5 (phase-inverter stage) can help remove "fizz" in your OD tone; I didn't have much of an issue with that when I tried it, but I left it in and basically forgot about it. The 5751 in V2 had a slightly more pronounced effect for me; it "tames" your gain a little, makes it rounder and smoother.

The lower the power of the pre amp tube, the less clipping occurs in the pre amp section, thus allowing for a cleaner headroom sent to the power amp. I saw a chart on the percentage of a 12at7 vs 12ax7, and is about 82% of the 12ax7. Which is about the optimal decrease to obtain less clipping, better headroom and warmer, less raspy tones.

Hello from Spain, i´m new in the board long time reading but that is my first post, i use five Sylvana jan 5751, love the sound i get much better than stock valves pherhaps i might consider a more high gain tube in V4 and V3, V3 doesn´t mind too much for me because i don´t use the fx loop for my effects, but i must to experiment with V4 & V3, 5751 70% less gain than 12ax7 works great on V1 V2 and V5 at least for me also to mention i use 4 matched Gold Lion ressiue El84 at power section which ones have a great punch love this tubes, work great for me, i think the balance between 5751 less gain and gold Lions more gain than stock is very good, at least i prefer this settings than the stock ones, i run all trough a Celestion 50 WATS Alanico Gold speaker, Ch2 has improuved but still considering Reeder mod 1, it works well on Strat and Tele but don´t like with my Les Paul or Gretsch too much dark middles even switching off the Midles (pot at 0) before this mods i use to set middles at 0 in chanel 1 presence 7 o clock too, now i can use lot of more sounds on chanel 1 with diferent gain eq presence and master configuration depending the guitar i use and pick ups, has the most of you here Love Ch1 and Ch2 seems to me muddy and too dark for my taste.
J.
I forget my amp is the LSS

Latest posts

Back